Chapter 20

We had a decent teamwork. In fact, I didn't have to worry. The apostles did everything on their own while I spent dinner with Corey and Mertha in the restaurant downstairs. The place wasn't filled, but it wasn't empty either. We were seated behind a fountain glass wall that offered privacy. The gentle sound of the water could not muffle a scream, but it was enough to keep the conversation away from the rest of the room.

Corey was, of course, in a foul mood. He didn't appreciate Salwey's words. He kept repeating that the man was insane for even suggesting that they let the folks through the border.

"If they want to leave, mayhap you can allow it," I said, summoning a sharp look from Mertha. Ignoring her, I locked my gaze on Corey. "Fewer people to feed and tolerate. And isn't it better to work with those who are willing than those who oppose you? Whoever stays will remain loyal."

Corey stared at me, face slowly morphing into disbelief. He looked around at the other guests in the restaurant, and in the same low voice he maintained since we started our dinner, said, "That's impossible. They're part of the Saint Society. We cannot give up on them."

Rubbish.

As I opened my mouth, Mertha chuckled lightly, shaking her head. "Aster, you have much to learn about the society. Giving everyone what they want doesn't always work. It's a recipe for chaos. And we can't just open the borders. There are laws in place, all of which to safeguard the general population. And even if we want to, the only way to go through the border is through the border. No one ever survive that, much more so non-magical folks."

"But are we not creating a much bigger future problem by keeping them here?"

"They'll eventually realize they're wrong once they experience the true Saint Society," Corey dismissively said. "Exodus is still young, but it's growing. Their lives are certainly going to get better. We have to teach them patience."

A long silence followed his statement as he finished his wine. His smile slowly returned, eyes jumping from me to Mertha. "We'll have to start fresh with Salwey. Let's forget everything he said about us."

I wasn't sure why he included in that statement. Philo Salwey's rant wasn't directed at me. It was all on him because he was from the Council. But since he apparently thought we should all take the burden as a team, I acknowledged his statement with a nod.

Corey leaned his arms on the table and looked me in the eye. "So, what you're going to do tomorrow is get to know everyone in Salwey's circle. And I mean every bloody person you encounter."

"Why?"

"Isn't that how your gift works?" he asked, throwing me a flirty smile. "You have to know everyone?"

"I only need a face and a name," I corrected. "You want me to look into their dreams?"

He nodded. "Manipulate the dreams just enough to know what's really going on."

"And what do you want me to find out in their dreams?"

Leaning back, Corey gestured his hand to Mertha. "Mertha will know. She's coming with you," he said, glancing at his watch.

I stiffened. Mertha just gave me her awkward, wintry smile.

"She'll guide you through the dreams. Is there a problem?"

I could think of a few, but then what good would it bring me?

"Great," Corey said with a smile, as if I gave him a good answer. "Are you ready for your first mission?"

Everything was always asking me if I was ready, like I was some child who was trying something for the first time. This whole Saint Society thing was indeed new to me, but menace and wicked? Conspiracies? Secrets? No. They're probably the oldest games in the world and when I came from, it wasn't new. It was everywhere, in every waking hour, and most especially in every dreaming cadence. As long as there were humans who had the capacity for sin.