The Dream I Don't Remember

I watched the burning tower below, hot air brushing my face and blowing my hair back. From the corner of my eye, I could see the tiny lines that disrupted the structures of the bedchamber I was in. Right below the room, the fire crackled, but the wooden floors remained cold against my bare feet. And behind me was a black door, always waiting for me since the day I first woke up in this dream. In my years traveling through dreams, I've encountered thousands of doors and I could count in my fingers how many of them were black.

"You're afraid," his voice said beside me. His dark hair reflected the fire below, his eyes golden with the display of yellow and orange. I had forgotten what he looked like without the fire. For so many years, I had seen him nowhere else but this place, dressed in black and covered with the reflection of the great murder below.

"I'm not," I said, looking away. How many years had it been? How many nights had I been appearing in this place every midnight? Too long, I thought. But it seemed only yesterday when I met him. I nearly killed him, and I might have if we were not in his dream. In this place where I died. In this kind of dream woven from memory. His memory.

"Of course, you are. You're afraid you'll wake up exactly how you were when you died."

I rolled my eyes. "You'll hate me more."

He chuckled, turning away. "Of course, not. I might just get a good one when you're no longer here." He walked to the black door while I hesitated. Too many times, he had stood by that door. Too many times, I threatened to walk out and never did.

Until tonight.

"Aster," he said, voice stern. "We've already talked about this."

"I know," I said under my breath. I looked around the room, quite lost. "Give me time. It's not going to be easy waking up."

He smiled as he returned to me, stopping just a hairsbreadth away. Cupping my face with his cold fingers, he smiled. "I'll be there."

"I'll be alone."

"You won't. I promise," he said before planting his lips on mine. Leaning back, he stared at me, fire in his eyes. "But you will surely not make it easy," he wryly said beside me with a sigh.

As much as I wanted to leave this dream, this destructive chaos I've been trapped in for centuries, I could not imagine waking up. Not when I'd be alone. Not when I'd have to face the aftermath of the fire below. Not when I'd wake up and not see him.

"You'll find me." I looked up at him warily. "You will."

He watched as I glared at the black door. "I always have."

I swallowed hard and kissed him again. "I love you."

He smiled. "I know, witch. And I love you, too. Now, go before I stop you."

I faced the door again. "Bloody hell," I growled under my breath before taking the first step.