TEN

chp. 10

"I'm home."

Yeji slipped out of her sneakers as her eyes surveyed the hallways. It was quiet, quiet enough that if a pin dropped, she would be able to hear it loud and clearly.

She looked at the shoe storage beside the door, noticing that her father's formal dress shoes were untouched. He must be home.

Furtively making her way to her room, Yeji sudden froze at the sight of her father sitting on the couch. And at the same time, he glanced up.

(a/n: imagine him as hwang minhyun)

"You're back," he gave a small smile, pushing up his glasses.

Yeji, who hasn't interacted with her father since last week due to his busy schedules, nodded politely. She was hesitant. "Yep."

A moment of silence passed, her father looked back to the TV.

"Why are you home so early?" Yeji finally asked, clutching on the strap of her bag. She suddenly regretted leaving Ryujin's house early.

"It's my day off," he smiled, glancing at her before clicking his tongue. He stood up from the couch, walking toward the kitchen counters. Yeji's intrigued eyes followed him.

He grabbed a small paper bag, handing it to her without a word. Yeji smiled slightly in gratitude, but her curiosity was on another level. Therefore, she took a small peek into the bag. A gasp left her mouth.

Her father dropped his hand and slipped it into his pockets, and that was when Yeji realized that he was still in his usual work attire.

"I drove past the bookstore and saw that the newest one was out. Thankfully I was early enough," he smiled when meeting his daughter's surprised gaze.

"T-Thank you," Yeji murmured, peering into the bag just to make sure it hadn't disappeared. Then, she glanced back up. "But you don't normally buy me gifts, so what's wrong?"

He then sauntered back to the couch, picked up the TV remote, and turned off the current channel. "I'm moving out, so I thought this would be a nice goodbye gift — for now, at least." He cleared his throat, avoiding Yeji's gaze.

"M-Moving out?" Yeji hesitated to ask. "Why?" Because she knew the answer, it was obvious by the way he was avoiding any sort of eye contact.

"Your mom and I decided that we should separate," he sighed, swiping the bottom of his nose. "It's for the best." He then grabbed his coat and his bag, approaching the stunned brunette just to ruffle her hair.

"I'll miss you, little one."

Then, he walked past his daughter, slipping into his shoes, before he glanced back at her one more time. "I'm going now! Call me if you need anything, and tell your mom that I already left."

Click.

The house was truly silent now.

——

"Don't eat all of them!" Ryujin shouted before entering the kitchen, taking off her apron with the intent of cleaning the space up.

Not even ten seconds had passed, but she could already hear her friends fighting over the food.

"Yah! I grabbed it first!"

"I think you missed the part where you DROPPED IT?"

"Guys, there's still another piece. Calm—"