FIVE

"Welcome back."

Yeji stared at her mother, watching how she kicked off her heels with a heavy sigh. She desperately wanted to hug her mother, but smelling the alcohol even from where she was had killed that idea right away.

"Hi, sweetie!" Her mother chimed, sporting a huge smile, one that Yeji hasn't seen in forever. "It's late, why are you still up?"

"I was waiting for you..." Yeji muttered under her breath before lifting her head, shaking her head slightly with a smile. "Couldn't sleep."

Her mother drunkenly walked towards her, holding the walls as a support so she wouldn't collapse. Yeji sighed as she watched her, feeling pity in her chest.

There was nothing she could do about their situation, she could never. She knew better than to indulge herself in her parents' business, and knowing both their tempers, she stuck to keeping her mouth taped shut most of the time. Unless she was in a one-on-one situation with one of them.

"Want me to give you some sleeping pills?" Her mother hummed, walking into the kitchen.

"No, it's alright, Mom."

The latter turned around with a confused expression, "Are you sure? I know you haven't been able to sleep lately."

"You haven't either," Yeji pursed her lips and watched as her mother slowly walked up to her, her eyelids falling repeatedly.

"I'm sorry, baby," her mother cooed, cupping her cheeks.

Yeji could feel it.

"Your father and I have been dealing with some trouble, I hope you understand."

She always did.

"I know that I haven't been there for you recently, so I apologize for that, alright, cupcake?"

Yeji nodded, swallowing her saliva.

It felt hot.

"Go take a rest. I love you!" Her mother grinned from ear to ear, letting the brunette go with a sleepy wave. It was obvious that the woman was drunk.

"Love you too, Mom." Yeji murmured before smiling tightly, waving back before she closed the door to her bedroom.

As soon as the door clicked close, everything fell.

Her eyes burned due to how long she held the tears in, she even tried to swallow the lump away. It was uncontrollable, at the end, she couldn't help but allow the salty pain roll down her cheeks.

Seeing her mother come back home drunk almost every night had pained her, she knew exactly why she had been drinking so much, and her father had always started a fight because of it. It was just how their relationship had worked, and Yeji really wished that they could just get along and respect each others' decisions despite some of them being dumb.

She knew that the moment she closed her eyes, her parents would start arguing once again, and she'd occasionally wake up to glass breaking or loud yelling. It wasn't ideal.

They weren't like this before, not always.

When Yeji was born, the couple was the happiest they've ever been. The years following that had also proved it.

They raised Yeji with love and affection, everything that she could ever ask for.

However, love is unexpected.

A day came where her father informed her mother that he had no longer loved her anymore, and that he couldn't bare hiding it from her and Yeji. It absolutely hurt when Yeji spotted her mother breaking down, alone, in their bedroom, with a big bottle of whiskey set beside her.