t e n

After I dropped off Y/N at her house following our date, I hadn't spoken to her about anything besides the upcoming wedding plans. I wondered if she was too intoxicated to remember confessing her crush on me or if she had deliberately been avoiding the topic.

Regardless, it didn't bother me. The lack of discussion gave me ample time to reflect on my own feelings and sort through the whirlwind of emotions.

As I started preparing lunch for myself and a special treat for Dodger, my phone interrupted the silence with a familiar ringtone. Glancing over, I saw "Y/N" displayed on the screen, causing a spark of anticipation within me.

Setting aside the food I was working on, I cleared my throat before answering the call. "Hello?" I greeted, the receiver pressed against my ear.

"Hey, Chris!" Y/N's bubbly voice caught me off guard, instantly bringing a smile to my face.

"Hey Y/N," I replied, tucking the phone between my ear and shoulder as I resumed cooking my food, "what's going on?"

"I'm calling to remind you about our suit and dress fitting today," she said in a sing-song voice, her excitement palpable. "Please don't forget."

I chuckled at her reminder. "Well, thanks, Siri," I bantered playfully. "Also, while we're at it, could you give me my horoscope?"

"Uh, sunny with a high chance of your suit fitting?" Y/N replied, clearly playing along with the lightheartedness.

I laughed, appreciating her humor. "Well, that's more of a forecast than a horoscope, but I'll gladly take it."

Y/N giggled on the other end of the line, her laughter like music to my ears. "Well, I just wanted to make sure you don't bail on our fitting."

I playfully rolled my eyes, even though she couldn't see it. "Don't worry, Y/N. I wouldn't miss it. Besides, I'm looking forward to seeing you in that beautiful dress you've been gushing about."

There was a brief pause, and I could almost sense a hint of bashfulness in her voice. "Thanks, Chris. I'm excited too. But hey, how are you feeling about the wedding? Any nerves?"

I paused for a moment, considering her question. "Honestly, Y/N, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous. This whole wedding experience has been a rollercoaster ride of emotions. But deep down, I'm genuinely happy for Stan and Alejandra, and I can't wait to see them exchange vows."

Y/N's voice softened, and I could sense a tinge of understanding. "I get it, Chris. Weddings have a way of stirring up all sorts of emotions. But remember, you're an incredible best man, and you'll do a fantastic job supporting Sebastian. And if you ever need a break from the wedding chaos, I'm here for you."

I smiled to myself, grateful for her understanding. "Thank you, Y/N. I appreciate your support more than you know. And hey, I'm here for you too, whether it's wedding-related or anything else. We make a pretty good team, don't you think?"

Y/N's voice brightened up. "Absolutely, Chris. Team Y/N and Chris, ready to take on the world. Now, I won't keep you from whatever you are up to. Just a friendly reminder, suit fitting is at 2 PM sharp. Don't be late!"

I chuckled, imagining her playfully wagging her finger. "Noted, Captain Y/N. I'll be there on time."

"Great! See you soon, Chris. And give Dodger a butt scratch from me!"

"Will do, Y/N."

With that, we said our goodbyes and hung up. As I resumed cooking lunch, I couldn't help but feel a warmth in my heart. Maybe it was the prospect of the fitting, or perhaps it was the genuine connection I had with Y/N. Whatever it was, I knew that these moments were slowly helping me understand my own feelings.