Chapter 14

"Malik. Eat!" Bruce used his fork to pick up a sprout off of the boys plate and held it up to his mouth.

"Get that out my face before I throw up." Malik said, pushing the fork away.

"Here comes the airplane..." The man teased.

Madi laughed. "They're not that bad Malik, they make you grow big and strong."

"She's right, you want to be big and strong, don't you?" Bruce said.

"I'm already big and strong, I don't need any of this mush that you try and call food." The boy got up and pushed his chair in.

Bruce pulled the chair back out. "Sit."

"But I'm done." 

"You'll sit here until I can see that you have at least made an effort to eat something. Then I'll tell you when you're done." Bruce got up and pushed his own chair in.

"That's not fair! I'm not a kid, if I'm not hungry then I don't have to eat." Malik pushed the plate away from him.

"He's not asking you to eat all of it, just make an effort to eat something." Madi rolled her eyes.

"No one asked you! You should make an effort to keep your nose out of my business." Malik frowned.

"Malik! Don't be so rude." Bruce started clearing his and Madi's plates.

"You should make an effort to grow up and stop acting like such a baby." Madi argued.

"Alright you two, that's enough now." Bruce told them.

"You should make an effort to shut up." Malik argued back.

"Oh please! Alls you do is whine and complain. You're the one who needs to shut up. Crying over some vegetables!" The girl sneered.

"At least I'm wanted." Malik murmured.

"At least I left my dad instead of my dad leaving me." 

"He did not leave me! You fucking whore!" 

"MALIK!" Bruce yelled.

"Oh, I'm a whore?! Well atleast I don't piss the bed!" Madi smirked.

That was the last straw for Malik, the boy flew at her before the girl could even blink.

"I hate you!!" Malik yelled, gripping a handful of her hair in his hand.

"I hate you more!" Madi yelled back before kneeing him straight in the balls.

The boy hit the floor instantly.

"Arghh, you bitch!" He groaned.

"You're both as bad as eachother! Madi, go to the living room and calm down." Bruce pulled the boy back onto his feet.

"It hurts." 

"I know, but you deserved it." Bruce sighed.

"I didn't!" Malik cried.

"You did, boy. You called her a whore." 

"Yeah, because she is one." Malik shrugged.

"Malik, please be careful what you say, she is my niece." Bruce told him.

"Right, and I'm just some kid staying at your house, so she can say what she wants to me." 

"I didn't say that, I'll talk to her later. And no you're not just some kid Malik, I see you as, well, a son to me." Bruce sat on the chair facing him.

"Then why don't you ever take my side?.. And how does she know I wet the bed!?" Malik death stared him.

"She found out herself! It was when we were watching you play football, I had no idea she was behind me and I was trying to research what could be wrong. She saw and so she asked about it."

"So you told her I wet the bed? You could've lied and said...I don't know! Anything!" Malik sank into his chair.

"I'm sorry, Malik. I shouldn't have told her anything. I told her it wasn't your fault, she doesn't really think you're a baby." Bruce tried to make the boy feel better.

"Yes, she does."  The boy put his head in his hands.

"You're still a kid, it'll just be due to all the change that's going on in your life right now that's causing you stress, you should grow out of it soon." The man ruffled his curls.

Malik sniffled.

"Oh come on, it happens to everyone at least once. Don't be getting yourself worked up now." Bruce patted the boys back.

"I don't care about that..." 

"Then what's the matter?" Bruce asked, confused.

"She was right."

"You're not a baby for wetting the bed, Malik." 

"No! Not that. She was right about my dad." Malik sat up.

"Your dad loves you a lot, Malik. You're all he's got." Bruce reassured him.

"Then why was he so ok with leaving me here?" 

"Because he knew you were in good hands, and he wants what's best for you, which is staying here at the school that you like and are doing well in."

"And with you looking after me. I mean, what was he thinking?" Malik joked.

"Watch it, Mister." Bruce laughed.

"I'm only joking. I don't know what I'd do without you sometimes. As much as I love my dad, you've always been more of a father figure to me."

Bruce felt his heart sink.