The sky is getting darker

Começar do início

A few days before Bella was supposed to arrive, Jasper and Margaret were left alone at Cullen's house. He had told her they were out hunting, and that he had gone before them to get the house to themselves. Margaret couldn't have been more grateful, she needed some quality time with Jasper, now more than ever. With her sister's arrival just around the corner, she couldn't think of anything better to do. She was cuddled up by Jasper's side on the couch, his arm wrapped around her, drawing soothing circles on her back, and his head laying on hers. He could stay that way for all eternity. Margaret had put on a movie she must've watched a thousand times, her hair was messy and the glasses she wore seemed too big for her face. She must've been falling asleep because when her phone rang she nearly jumped off the couch.

"It's your sister." Jasper sighed as he handed her the phone. He paused the film and saw her face fall. "S'okay, we can carry on later." His lips brushed hers and she sat up, brushing her hair behind her ears.

"Hello?" Her voice was deprived of the joy she had felt mere seconds ago.

"Fiona? Is that you?" Her sister's voice echoed through the room through her screams. "Where the heck are you!" Margaret pulled the phone away from her and noticed the pained face Jasper had, most probably given to his sensitive hearing.

"Bella there's no need to yell..." She answered calmly, her fingers pinching the bridge of her nose. 

"No need to yell? NO NEED TO YELL!" Through the line, her laughter bounced irritably. "Do you know how long I have been waiting for you guys?" 

"Waiting? What on earth are you talking about?" Now she was confused, tired, and with a growing headache.

"WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT, FIONA," Her name fell off her tongue with marked syllables, mockingly slapping her. FI-O-NA. She didn't know how she would endure this for the rest of their school life. "Is how you didn't even bother coming to pick me up from the airport!"

"The airport? But you weren't supposed to be here until-"

"Oh, so now you don't want me here? Is that it?" Jasper had been a patient man his whole life, but even he had limits, and he was very close to speaking up his mind, mostly, because of the way she was speaking to his mate, and how her feelings were all over the place, varying from hurt, to sadness, to anger and confusion.

"What? No, that's not it! What I meant is that we expected you on August 17th, that's the date you told me..." Margaret stood from the sofa, knowing that if the conversation carried on that way either Jasper or her would smash the phone on the floor.

"Well, obviously that wasn't the correct date, now was it? Anyways, when will you get here, I'm starving." Margaret looked at the time then at Jasper.

"I'm kind of busy right now, couldn't you maybe get a cab or-"

"Get a cab? Are you serious? Look, I'm not looking to be ripped off forty dollars only to be driven home in a crusty taxi with a dude that could well be a serial killer. So get your ass here right now!" Then she hung up. Margaret blinked slowly for a few seconds, regaining her breath.

"Whoever that was, sounded like a bitch." Rosalie came up the stairs, followed by Emmett.

"That was my sister." She mumbled through pressed lips.

"Damn, you sure don't want to gift her to Edward with no receipt?" Emmett joked, with his body thrown on top of the couch and his cheeky smirk, Margaret would've sworn he looked human.

"I might think about it." Margaret waved them goodbye and thanked Carlisle and Esme for having her over as she left with Jasper. 

While Jasper drove her home she called her dad with a heavy heart. The police station was piled up with work, sudden animal attacks had been taking place and they had been trying to catch it for over a week with no luck.