Prompt: "I would help but making fun of you is so much more fun."

Suggested by: 

1974

"Yep...almost...got...it." The strip of fabric around Two-Bit's neck looked. His eyebrows were raised, tongue sticking out towards his upper lip, and he looked to be holding his breath. This here was a battle. It had been almost a half hour now of him fighting to tie his tie. A very humorous half hour at that. Ponyboy sat back arms folded over his chest, smirk curled up on his lips. It would be no problem to go help his friend, but this was far more entertaining.

With a loud sigh Two-Bit dropped his arms down to his sides. "Dammit." He mumbled a slew of other curse words under his breath as the fabric unfolded and he had to start again.

"You were close that time." The amusement was clear in Pony's voice; Two-Bit glared at him. That merely made the smirk on Pony's face grow wider.

"Wouldn't kill ya to give me a hand, Pone." He retorted only to be met with a laugh by the younger boy.

1956

The sun was blazing down on a beautiful summer day. Children were laughing, running around playing everywhere. The Curtis brothers and their friends had gathered in the empty lot down the street, their typical hang out spot. Well, two of the three brothers anyways. Darry was eleven now, he was too old to be playing with his seven and five year old brothers. He had his own friends and they were off somewhere else.

Sodapop and Steve, well it wasn't too clear what they were doing. Playing, wrestling, some combination of both. They were loud and all over the place, pretty typical of the pair. Johnny would join in with them occasionally, but he was probably the quietest kid in town. He was more content trying to help Pony on his new found venture.

Today Pony decided he was going to learn how to ride a bike. Darry had out grown his old one and it was the perfect size for his little brothers. Maybe a bit big for the youngest, but he was determined to ride like a big kid. Soda was too busy to help him. Even if he wasn't his attention span was too short to help the younger boy. As much as he wanted to help Johnny didn't know how to ride a bike either, but he was supportive nonetheless.

This was not as easy as it seemed, and Pony had lost count of how many times he'd fallen already today. Why was this so difficult? Soda and Darry made it look easy. Maybe if his dad was here to show him then he could figure it out. It was Sunday and Dad was home. He worked so hard that the boys knew better than to disturb him. Had he asked for help without hesitation Mr. Curtis would be there by his son's side, but Pony was determined. He was going to do this by himself and make everyone proud. Especially his dad.

"You okay Pony?" Johnny asked helping the younger boy up. "Ya fell kinda hard that time."

Pony looked at his newly skinned elbow but nodded. "I'm okay." He dusted himself off and started over, making a bit of progress this time before ultimately toppling over.

"You ain't know how to ride a bike?" An all too amused voice came from behind them. Pony narrowed his eyes at their friend.

"Not yet, Keith." He grumbled reluctantly. All he wanted to do was be like his big brothers, but it wasn't always easy being at least two years younger than everyone. Another attempt seemed like he finally had it down, until he need to turn to avoid running into something. Again, he was on the ground.

Keith howled with laughter. "Well from the looks of it you ain't learning anytime soon."

"Help me then!" Pony huffed.