Vol. 6: Chapter 5.2 - Weakness and Detriment

Start from the beginning

"That's just my opinion based on what I heard from you. I don't think you're unnecessarily arrogant like Kouenji. It's normal to take pride in the things you're good at."

It's not like we're close enough for me to casually lecture him. If my words come off as preaching, I'd be a hypocrite who thinks he's better than everyone else. Then again, Yukimura probably wanted to know what I thought about his situation. He wouldn't have opened up to me, otherwise.

"As a classmate, I don't see you guys any differently. There's no point in categorizing people for no reason. Don't worry about it too much and just focus on what you're good at," I tapped Yukimura's shoulder as I made my way to our table.

"I like studying and I hate physical activities... But I don't want to be a burden to the class. I was probably assigned to Class D because of my poor physique. Even if we're in Class A now, is it really fine for me to stay this way?"

Change is inevitable. Even if you don't, those around you certainly will.

"That depends on you. You're plenty helpful to the class already, Yukimura. And I'm sure Horikita will take your weakness into account. But if you want to work out and shape up a bit, then there's nothing wrong with that either."

"I see... I understand, Ayanokouji. I'll give it some serious thought."

I nodded in response.

With that, the study session officially started. Everyone was doing well. Given their current state, they'll be fine as individuals.

"I'm relieved that Sudou-kun is my partner. I didn't think you were so studious," said Ijuuin.

"I wasn't. I guess having people around you makes a difference," Ken shrugged with a smile.

He still hates studying alone, saying he can't focus. But it's good that he's taking things seriously during every study session.

"You're quite lucky, Airi. With an honor student like Azuma-san as your partner, you don't have to worry about getting dragged down," said Akito.

"Well, yes. But on the other hand, I'm worried about dragging her down." Airi scratched her cheek with a finger, looking worried.

"Our partner, huh...? In terms of being in the top half, I'd say Horikita and I are the most vulnerable. Ike and Yamauchi are the most likely to fail if they don't study properly," said Yukimura.

"You two have it hard, huh, Yukimuu?"

"Yukimuu?"

"Well, I'm sure you and Suzunon will pull through." Haruka gave him a thumbs-up.

"So you're just gonna ignore it, huh...?" Yukimura sighed.

"It's fine, isn't it? We've been studying together for a while now. What's wrong with trying to be close? You feel the same way, right, Watarin, Hideyon?"

"Watarin...?"

"H-H-Hideyon-?"

Ijuuin and Professor were shocked (especially Professor) after suddenly being baptized with new nicknames by a very cute girl.

"Fufun~. Do you guys wanna be part of the Ayanokouji Group?" asked Haruka. "Well, I say that, but there's really nothing official about us. We're just a ragtag team of loners who get together sometimes."

"A ragtag team of loners, huh...? I see. So you're saying that your group doesn't observe the unwritten rules of usual friend groups. To be honest, I've already noticed that even before," Ijuuin turned to Akito. "I've heard Miyake-kun continuously reject Hasebe-san and Sudou-kun's invitations like they were nothing, but the two of you didn't seem to mind."