𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩 𝟒𝟎

Start from the beginning

My eyes wander over to my mother, our eyes meeting immediately, our eyes locked in a silent exchange. It was as if we were communicating without words, understanding each other on a level that only a mother and child can. She sat there in silence, as she often did, before her eyes flick down to Ryder's hand placement.

As far as she knows, I want nothing to do with this marriage. She doesn't know I'm in love with Ryder, I've barely spoken to her since the wedding. I've missed her. In return, I give her a warm, smile, indicating that I'm actually happy. I plan on her later on, when we're alone. My smile was enough for her to understand, her eyes lighting up, shooting me a warm, proud smile in return.

The men were deep in conversation when a soft, timid voice interrupted them from the doorframe. "Dinner is ready, Mr Forbes." another young maid announces, before quickly disappearing back into the dining room.

Floyd stood up from his chair, his hand wrapping around the glass of bourbon from the coffee table in the middle. He made his way towards the dining hall, with my parents following not too far behind. As I moved to trail after them, Ryder is quick to pull me back, wrapping his arms around me in a tight embrace. I nestled my head against his chest with a smile. The scent of his strong cologne filled my senses, making me feel safe and content.

He gently placed his hand on the back of my head, leaving a tender kiss in my hair. I could feel him inhaling deeply through his nose before slowly pulling away. As I looked up at him, he flashed me a warm, appreciative smile. I can tell he's more relaxed now, reassured by the fact that everything was under control and okay.

He wraps his arm around me, as we head into the dining room with our parents. The room was filled with the aroma of delicious food and the sound of chatter as we took our seats at the table. The flickering flames of the candlesticks cast a warm glow over the table, illuminating the array of dishes that were carefully arranged on its surface. The delicate porcelain plates were decorated with intricate patterns, while the gleaming silver cutlery sparkled in the candlelight.

My stomach rumbles as my eyes roam the table. There's a massive turkey placed in the centre, with things such as potatoes, vegetables, dinner rolls, gravy and cranberry sauce surrounding it. Everything and anything that would make a good Christmas feed.

Chatter and laughter fills the table as we dig in, starting to load our plates with food. The dinner goes well, and I actually find myself enjoying it. My father's presence didn't feel suffocating or intimidating. They all seemed different somehow, less serious and interrogating.

More conversations flow throughout the night while we're all stuffed with the food. Ryder's lounged out in his chair, a smirk playing on his lips as he leans in and whispers something against my ear. When my father decides to open his big mouth. I should've known it was going too well.

Ryder and I shifted our focus towards my father. As I picked up a potato with my fork, my thoughts were interrupted by his words, leaving me momentarily confused. "It was a good thing that I 'sold you'," he chuckled, his eyes flickering with amusement. His gaze shifted to Ryder, who sat beside me, and then back to me. I couldn't help but scoff in disbelief at his words, but he didn't seem to care. He continued, his voice laced with a hint of arrogance, "Otherwise, you wouldn't be in this situation,"

"You'd probably still be stuck with that low life Luka," he adds with a snicker, taking a sip from his glass. I grit my teeth, feeling a surge of anger rise within me. I don't believe it was because of the comment about Luka, but the audacity with which he was excusing his shitty behaviour. And to top it off, he was taking credit for my relationship - a relationship he had nothing to do with and knew nothing about.

He doesn't know what I had to go through to get to this place, and he thinks he can joke about it. Typical.

Ryder remained silent, his expression unreadable. I knew he was just as pissed off as I was, but he was better at hiding it, his father wouldn't appreciate it if he spoke against my father. I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself down. I refused to let this man get the best of me.