River paused, slowly turning to look at my idiotic brother. My eyes stayed on the two, already knowing what was about to happen. Noah was about to pay the price for what he had done.

River's fist struck my older brother right in the ribs. Noah yelled in pain and shock.

River turned his attention back to the TV, unpausing his character and playing again. "That hurt you, fucker." Noah whined.

I almost laughed at my brother's childishness. Soon enough, they were both talking crap to each other.

I rolled my eyes at the two boys that sat on the couch, acting like 14-year-olds.

Sometimes I wonder how they are even seniors. Sometimes I even wonder how I am a senior.

When I was in 3rd grade, I was moved up to 4th grade because I tested out of my grade level, and that's how I became friends with June.

Pulling open the fridge in search of something to eat. My eyes searched the fridge in hope of something sweet or something that just simply caught my eye.

I push out my lips just a bit as I think of what I could want. When I spot a bowl of fresh fruit, I take it, closing the fridge door.

I jumped back, my back hitting the fridge, almost causing me to drop the glass bowl that was in my hands. I let out a few heavy breaths due to almost having a heart attack at the age of 17. "Fucking hell." I grumble.

River stood, leaning on the kitchen island with a smirk resting on his full lips. His fluffy black hair lays messily on his forehead.

It wasn't the bad type of messy; it was more like he had just run his fingers through it. "Language El." He said it with a teasing tone.

Placing the bowl onto the counter and plopping a cut strawberry into my mouth. "Ah, sorry, freaking heck." I say sarcastically and roll my eyes.

His eyes glint with something I don't recognize as he pushes off of the counter and takes a step closer.

I looked at the space between us and noticed there was not a lot, maybe about a step, between us.

He was so close. So close that all I could think about was his intoxicating smell. The smell of cinnamon and a woody smell filling my nose almost makes me feel a bit lightheaded.

His tall frame towered over me, staring down at me with this look in his eye that I couldn't seem to make out.

Taking another step, now we are practically toe to toe. "Don't roll your eyes at me." His tone deepened, making me aware of how close we were.

I tilt my head slightly with a small smile on my face. "Or what?" His eyes darkened just a bit. I watch the corner of his lip turn up. "Don't test me, Ella."

But I want to. All I wanted to do at this moment was test him. I want to push his buttons to see which one I get a reaction from. To see how he would react.

I panic, shoving River away and moving to the opposite side of the kitchen when I hear the sound of keys. Finally feeling like I could breathe again, I say. "I already told you no. I'm not going to tutor you."

River looks at me confused; his brows knit together, but slowly realization crosses his face. "Come on, Ella, just until I'm caught up." He went along.

Mom walked into the kitchen, and her eyes moved between us. Her gaze drifted over to me fully. "Why can't you just tutor him?" I watch a smirk grow on Riv's face.

God, this is about to blow up in my face. I clench my jaw, pulling my eyes away from Riv's dark ones.

I stay silent for a moment, my mind racing to think of something to come up with. "Uh, because it's not my job to teach him something he should know." I told her.

"How would I know it if I wasn't even there?" My eyes twitch just a bit when I hear River. I turned to face him with a blank look on my face.

All I wanted to do at this moment was smack that grin off of his face. "Well, maybe if you didn't always skip class, you wouldn't be in this predicament now, would you?" I say, crossing my arms.

Rivers' brows raised like he was about to say something he knew would just push me over the edge. "Ella just help River study." Mom interrupts, and my head snaps over in her direction.

"No." I snap, almost forgetting that this was all just improv and not actually real, but god, why does it feel like it was real? Mom's honey-colored eyes lift up, giving me a look that has me regretting ever saying anything at all.

"Mom mode activated." I hear Noah say as he enters the kitchen. I couldn't even laugh; all I could do was look at Mom. "You're going to help River study." Is the last thing she says before turning and leaving.

"Fine." I say it loud enough for her to hear. I let out a huff before grabbing my fruit from the counter, not paying any attention to River as I walked past him.

"You ready to leave?" I hear my brother asking Riv. "Mhm yeah."

I miss writing about London and August 😭

Songs that you think fit River and Ella?