0

Rewritten ✔
Edited ✔
This chapter takes place six moons before the allegiances.

The rain was pouring so hard that it felt like burning acid when it hit the cats' skin. They were running from something. A gray tabby tom was in the lead, followed by a white-and-brown tabby tom and a flame-point molly. The sound of the river was enough to burst eardrums. It sounded like something that could shake the whole world. As the three cats reach the open, two red blurs followed them.

Foxes.

The canines seemed to be gaining on the patrol. As the foxes were about to leap, the patrol doubled back and leaped onto their faces.

"We need reinforcements!" someone yelled. It was hard to tell who over the sounds of the river, rain, and now battle. The flame-point she-cat fell back, yelled something to the toms, then raced away. The fighting continued. The gray tom swiped at his fox's face. The fox yelped and stumbled backwards, shaking its head to get the blood out of its eyes. Rain fell and thunder crashed. Lightning ran across the sky, blinding the tom. The other cat yelled out.

"Troutfrost! Are you okay?" the gray tabby yelled, turning to see his other patrol member. The white-and-brown tabby, Troutfrost, had now acquired a large gash on his shoulder.

"F-fine, Hailstorm!" Troutfrost yelled back, tripping over his words a little. Hailstorm's face morphed into one of worry. The fox bit his shoulder, bringing him back to reality. He yelled out and bit the fox's nose. That made the fox let him go, so he leaped back onto it and started pummeling its back. It tried to roll over but being a fox who is around the same size as a cat with a cat on its back makes that a bit hard. Hailstorm dug his claws in deeper and bit into the fox's scruff. It screeched in pain and tried to shake the cat off again but wilder this time. Hailstorm dropped off and gave the fox one more scar as it fled.

He turned back to Troutfrost, who seemed to not be doing very well.

Weird, Hailstorm thought. He's usually an amazing warrior. Hailstorm shrugged it off when his friend's tail got grabbed by the fox. He jumped in to help, scratching at the fox's eyes, an effective attack. The fox let go of Troutfrost, but then turned onto Hailstorm. It snarled and reached to grab his hindleg. Since he was already worn and weak from fighting the other fox, he didn't dodge in time and the fox sunk its teeth into his leg.

Hailstorm hissed and screamed as pain erupted in his shoulder. He tried to get Troutfrost to look at him, but he couldn't form any coherent words. The other cat was licking a wound on his side, not paying attention to the deputy.

Mouse-brain! Look at me! Hailstorm managed to think. Instead of waiting for Troutfrost and bleeding out, he turned and clawed at the fox's nose. The fox yelped and let go to turn and flee. Hailstorm gasped for air, his lungs seeming to have shriveled up.

"Need- need Goldenglow," the injured tom gasped. He limped over to Troutfrost, who was gingerly testing each of his legs on the ground in turn. A bush rustled near them, but it was so faint it could've been the wind. The rain was still pouring, but it wasn't as harsh as before. The storm was passing on.

Troutfrost looked back up at the deputy, his yellow eyes narrowed.

"You won't be needing her, Hailstorm." His tone of voice sent shivers down Hailstorm's spine. Hailstorm staggered backwards, his eyes wide.

"Troutfrost? We've both lost a lot of blood. We need to get back to camp," Hailstorm managed to say, his voice tight with strain. The other cat shook his head and started stalking towards Hailstorm. His eyes glowed with insanity and his mouth curled into a sadistic grin.

"Oh no, Hailstorm. You won't be needing them," Troutfrost murmured, tilting his head. Lightning flashed as he sprang onto Hailstorm, claws unsheathed. Hailstorm let out a yelp and hissed in surprise, his eyes flashing with anger and betrayal.

"What are you doing, Troutfrost?" the warrior snarled, batting at Troutfrost feebly with his hind legs. Troutfrost dug his claws deeper into Hailstorm's shoulders, making the gray tabby wince.

"You. Hurt. Me." For every word, Troutfrost dug his claws in deeper and deeper. Hailstorm was on the verge of passing out from both blood loss and pain. Without any answer from Hailstorm, Troutfrost continued. "You took everything from me! Everything! You never seemed to want me around. And only because my mother was a rogue!

"I can't control who my parents are! And then you took Stormpuddle from me. My best friend!" Hailstorm's eyes were half-closed. He wasn't listening, his head listing to one side. Troutfrost shook him awake, but StarClan was already taking him.

"Then you somehow convinced Otterstar to make you deputy. You of all cats!" he ended his speech with a yowl of pent-up stress and anger and slashed Hailstorm's neck. He quickly ran over to the river to wash off his paws. As he was walking back, the storm stopped, and the patrol was walking towards them. The rustling of a bush near him started up again. Just when he turned his head away from the bush, two glowing yellow eyes slithered back into the shadows.

A/N :

Word count: 920 words
Vote if you liked it!
Remember to drink some water.