CH 55 || The Problem With Plans

Start from the beginning

"Good." Cody grinned.

I sank back into the cushions, my bouncing heartbeat making it impossible to follow the happenings on screen. Tomorrow morning. I would talk to Killian tomorrow morning. It felt so close and at the same time years away. But I could do it. I had a plan. What could go wrong?

 What could go wrong?

Apparently, a lot.

Which was how I found myself running through the hospital instead of the library. The call had come half an hour ago.

Please, be okay. Please.

I found her lying on a hospital bed, her head wrapped in a bandage but otherwise seemingly fine. "Sofia!" I ran up and quickly took her hand in mine.

She greeted me with a warm smile. "It's just a mild concussion. No need to sound so alarmed."

"You were in a car crash! You scared me to death. What the hell happened?"

"It was nothing crazy. I was actually lucky." She chuckled. "I don't know what happened to the car. They said it was probably an animal chewing on the cables, but the brakes just stopped working. I'm sorry to ask this, but can you take care of Angie for tonight? My colleague is gonna pick her up from school right now but she can't stay and they want to keep me overnight for observation."

"Of course. I got her. I'll tell her we are going to a sleepover at Suz's place later."

She gripped my hand more tightly. "Thank you, Tay. I wouldn't know what to do without—"

"Nonsense. Of course. Focus on recovery, okay? I got Angie. I can even take her for several days, alright?"

"Ah, Tay. You're really a gift."

"No, you know how much I love her. You've been gone for so long I was starting to feel sick without my little sunshine."

Sofia beamed at me. "So...how are things between you and your little troublemaker?"

My heart lurched. "I... I haven't talked to him yet..."

"But the new diet seems to work well, doesn't it? You look much better. And I don't mean your appearance. You seem better overall."

"I am. It's just. I've only been better for a few days. And I don't know how to approach him..."

"You miss him, right?"

I missed Killian. Now that I wasn't stewing in my misery anymore, I realized that I missed him so terribly that sometimes it was hard to breathe. I would usually feel some sort of relief pretty quickly after breaking off with someone. But this time it felt as if my insides were ripped. Even watching K-drama felt flat.

"Why would you think so?" I asked tentatively. Here, I thought I'd hidden it well whenever we'd talked.

"You got that look."