Chapter 74

Dad and I got up early-ish in the morning. We got to my school just before 8:30.  We headed towards the office when I heard someone call my name. I turned around and there was Emmanuel. I frowned as he came over.

"Where you been, man?" He asked me.

I stared at him. His mom had been to visit when I was in the hospital. He had to know.  He should have known. I yanked my beanie off and Emmanuel looked shocked at my bald head.

"Gee, Emmanuel. Where could I have been?"

"What the fuck? What happened?"

"Why don't you ask your mom?"

"Was that supposed to be a joke? You don't joke about my moms, Jaime."

"No, Emmanuel. That was a question. Your mom came to see me last week. Where were you?"

"Out with Frank and Justin," he shrugged. "What happened to your hair?"

"I have cancer you asshole. You'd know that if you talked to your mom. She came to visit. I nearly died two weeks ago. Sorry I'm too inconveniencing!" I spun around and walked towards the office where Dad was talking with the principal and watching Emmanuel and I.

"Jay, wait!" Emmanuel said. I kept walking. He grabbed my shoulder and stopped me. I spun around, my hands in fists.

"What, Emmanuel. Do you want me to listen to more excuses?"

"No, I," he frowned and looked away. "I wanted to say I'm really sorry."

"Great. I'm glad you're sorry," I said through clenched teeth. "That makes me feel so much better."

"Jay, that's not fair," he said.

"Really, Emmanuel?  Remember when you said we were like brothers?  What was that all about? Huh?  Because I now have two younger brothers, and they're better brothers than you!"

Emmanuel frowned.

"Do you think it's easy for us? You have a whole new life and your dad and now you live up in Beverley Hills!  You don't text us anymore. I haven't heard from you all summer!"

"I've been fighting cancer all summer!" I shouted. Kids were staring. "I've been fighting for my life all summer. Maybe if you talked to your mom, you'd know why I couldn't get back to you."

Emmanuel looked at me and then, without warning, hauled off and punched me in the face. I felt blood running down my face from my nose. I hoped he hadn't broken it. I launched myself at him and started throwing punches until I felt arms pull me off Emmanuel.

I was starting to feel dizzy.

"What the hell is going on out here?" The principal asked, holding Emmanuel back.

"Nothing," Emmanuel spat at me. He wrenched his arms out of the principal's hold, glared at me and walked away.

"Jaime, are you alright?" The principal asked. I was getting dizzier.

"I don't know," I said, putting my hand to my head.

"Jaime, your nose is bleeding. Let's sit you down in the office," I heard someone say. There were black spots in front of my eyes. Someone manoeuvred me towards a chair. Dad's face floated in front of me.

"Jaime?" His voice echoed in my head. "Jaime? Are you okay?"

"Dad? I don't feel good," I said, before everything went black.

I opened my eyes and saw I was in, I guess, the hospital.

"Jaime!" Dad said, coming up to my side. "Are you okay?"