Chapter 24

Pete's POV

After the doctor left, Jaime finished his dinner and even drank a glass of water and the apple juice they'd brought.

"Jaime," I said, as I moved his tray table away. "What we're you thinking when you ran away?  Where were you going to go?"

"Nowhere. I literally went for a run. It helps me clear my mind when I'm angry. I found a cut through and a dirt path, and I decided to run up there. But then I got off the path.  I found this clearing full of grass and I was lying there thinking it was exactly the type of place Mom would have loved to go for a picnic.  I must have fallen asleep up there and when I woke up, I couldn't remember which way I'd come in, so I started walking. Then I thought if I climbed higher, maybe I'd be able to see some houses and figure out which way to go, but I couldn't see over the trees. The first night, I found, like, some rocks and brush all together so I curled up under there hoping I could stay warm. When I woke up in the morning I was so thirsty, and I got up to keep trying to walk back. I was going downhill so I thought I'd figured it out. But it was hot out and I was tired and I fell asleep again. When I woke up again I was totally confused and out of it. I remember taking a step and falling. I remember I hurt a lot. I rolled and bounced off stuff.

When I stopped, I just lay there. I couldn't move. Everything hurt and I knew I'd hit my head on something. I thought I was dying. It hurt to breathe. Everything hurt. Then, it just went dark. I remember apologizing to you, though," he said.

"To me?" I asked.

"Yeah. I thought I was dying and I was kind of an ass. You took me in and there I was, dying on you."

I teared up again.

"You have nothing to apologize for, son. You've been through a lot," I said.

There was another knock at the door.

"Hello?" A voice called out.

"Come on in, Patrick," I smiled.

Andy and Joe followed him in.

"Hey, kid," Andy said. "How're you feeling?"

"Have you ever been hit by a truck?" Jaime asked.

"Nooooo, can't say that I have," Andy said.

"Well, I don't recommend it. Because it feels about how I feel right now."

"Smartass," I said.

"We wanted to come check in on you and your dad," Patrick said. "Meagan told us you woke up today."

"That would be... accurate," Jaime said. "Look, uh, I'm sorry I was an ass the night you guys came over. I guess I was kinda mad about Dad having this whole life I didn't know about. And having just buried my mom. And wondering if I would have ever known about him if Mom hadn't gotten sick and died."

"Don't worry about it kid," Joe said, offering a fist bump.  Jaime returned it.

"Why the hell are you crying, Pete?" Andy asked.

"Did you hear what Jaime said?" I asked.

"What?" Jaime asked.

"You called me 'Dad'," I said.

Jaime smiled slightly.

"I called you Dad in the canyon, too. When I thought I was dying. I said 'sorry Pete, sorry, Dad'."

"I want to hug you, but I don't want to hurt you," I said, through my tears.

"I appreciate that," Jaime said, with the most impish smile I'd seen on his face.

"He has your smile," Patrick said. "And your wit. He's definitely your kid."

I smiled at Jaime.

The guys stayed for a little while longer. About an hour. They asked Jaime about himself and he got to know them. When it was obvious to me Jaime was tiring, I kicked them out and made him go to sleep.

"I'll be right here, if you need me," I said, settling into the chair beside him, where I'd essentially been living for the past two days.

"Thanks, Dad," Jaime said, as he drifted off to sleep.

I didn't sleep well, but Jaime did. The nurses kept coming in and checking on him, they had to wake him up every couple of hours because of his
concussion but they said by the time he was ready to go home, he probably wouldn't need that anymore.

He was grumpy in the morning from being woken up so many times.

Just after breakfast, a nurse and a doctor came in. They said they were taking Jaime's catheter out and then PT would be by to help him learn how to use crutches.

He did not entirely enjoy the experience of having the catheter taken out but was relieved when it was done.

I suggested a nap before PT showed up and he agreed.

When PT came, they brought crutches that would go on Jaime's forearms instead of under his arms.

"Those ones would not feel good with broken ribs," the therapist said.

The two of us helped Jaime sit up and sit on the edge of the bed. He's been sitting up more than lying flat, so he wasn't too dizzy when he sat up. I grabbed a second gown to put on like a robe and we put his IV through the sleeve.

"Don't think you want everyone seeing your caboose," I joked.

"Yeah. No," Jaime smiled. "Thanks."

The therapist gave him instructions on how to use the crutches and manoeuvre himself around. We did a length of the hallway and back before Jaime got tired.

We went back to his room. The therapist was happy that Jaime had picked it up so easily and said unless he felt he needed it, he could go on without anymore PT.

"But you'll probably need some when that cast comes off." He said.

Jaime nodded. I helped him get back into bed and he lay back and fell asleep. I just watched him sleep.

He was my boy. He was safe and sound. We were going to be okay.