Chapter 30

Pete's POV

The lawyer went over Tanya's will. Obviously she'd left everything to Jaime. It wasn't a lot and some was probably going to be needed to clear out their apartment and maybe paint it and get it ready to be rented out again. 

All in all, with her insurance, a college fund for Jaime and a few investments, Tanya had left Jaime about $100,000.

The lawyer went over some paperwork and I signed a few things. He handed me the cheque and we were free to go.

"Want to grab some lunch?" I asked Jaime as we got into the car.

"No," he said simply. "I just want to go home."

He slunk down in his seat and stared at his feet.

I wasn't sure what was going through his mind, but he was visibly upset.

"Wanna talk about what's bothering you?" I asked.

"Nothing is bothering me," he grumped.

"Uh huh," I said.

Jamie's cheeks were red and he was frowning.

I decided to leave it for now.

"Well, whenever you're ready to talk, I'm here," I said.

Jaime rolled his eyes and kept looking out the window.

When we got home Meagan and Marvel were just getting home from Marvel's playgroup.

"Hi Jaime!" Marvel waved. Jaime got on his crutches and went into the house without saying a word. We followed him in. He'd gotten fast on his crutches and was already up the stairs. I heard him slam his bedroom door.

"What happened?" Meagan asked me.

"I'm not sure. He was upset after the will reading.  His mom left him some investments and a college fund. It's all worth about $100,000," I said. "I don't know why he's in a mood, though."

"How was he at breakfast?"

"Fine. A bit quiet, but fine. I asked him if he wanted to talk and he said no. I told him I'm around if he needs or wants to talk."

Meagan looked upstairs and sighed.

"Poor kid," she said.

"I'll give him some space for now, and go talk to him later," I said.

Meagan nodded at me.

"Where's Jaime?" Marvel asked, coming in the house.

"He's up in his room. He needs a little space, okay? So let's leave him for a little while," I said to Marvel.

"Okay!" Marvel said and skipped off to her toys.

Meagan and I chatted for a little while and then I decided it was a good time to go see if I could find out what upset Jaime so much.

I knocked on his door. He didn't answer. I thought he could have fallen asleep, but I knocked again anyway and called out to him.

"Jaime, is it okay if I come in?"

"Yeah," he said. "I guess."

I opened his door and he was lying on his bed, hands behind his head, looking up at the ceiling.

"Hey," I said, sitting beside him on his bed. "What's going on?"

"Nothing," he said, tersely.

"It's not nothing," I said. "You've been upset since we got to the lawyer's."

He sighed.

"I'm fine," he said through clenched teeth.

It was my turn to sigh.

"Jaime, you gotta cut me a little slack," I said. "I may not be new to parenting, but I'm new to parenting a teenager and I'm new to parenting you. I'm here for you, son."

A frown flashed across his face. He was still sort of unsure about our relationship.

"There's nothing to talk about," he said.

"I can't force it out if you, but I'm letting you know, whatever is bothering you, you can tell me."

Jaime looked away.

"I didn't want you to know," he said.

"Didn't want me to know what?" I asked.

"How poor we were," he said.

"You weren't poor. You had a roof over your head, food in the fridge, a mom who loved you and put money away for you to use for school."

"But it's not enough for school," he said.

"You have me now. I'll help you pay for school," I said.

He frowned again.

"You don't have to. I would have figured it out," he said.

"But, you don't have to anymore," I said. "I will take care of you."

Jaime still frowned.

"I thought it might have been more," he said. "I wonder how much went to her medical bills. I don't even know if she still owes on those. She probably does."

"That's not something for you to worry about," I said.

"Because my rich dad will pay them?" He fumed.

"Well, partially. But mostly because you're 15. That's not something you should need to worry about."

"I shouldn't have had to worry about burying my mom either," he said, tears threatening.

"Jaime, I can't make this better. But I am here for you. We all are."

"Sure," he said.

"When you feel like it, come down and have some lunch. Marvel was looking for you," I said. I watched as his face softened. He had a soft spot for my little girl. And that gave me hope that maybe he'd come downstairs for her.

I didn't know how to let him know that he is part of this family now. And we love him. And we want him.