Chapter 22 - Let's Make A Deal

Start from the beginning

Before I could think better of it, five men in black suits approached, all of them in the six and a half foot range. Short black hair, swarthy skin, and powerfully built, they had tattoos climbing their necks from the edge of their black on black shirt and jackets. Weapons harnesses and guns were visible under their jackets and it made me wonder at their use of modern technology.

My gaze swept the large space and took in the similarly large, armed male sitting as the receptionist at the desk. And the others stationed at the bank of elevators. Were they all demons in disguise? They looked and smelled human, but something about them had the hair rising at my nape. Mortal weapons would have a hard time taking us down if this went badly. The demons likely knew that. They would have accounted for that. Were those actually black powder guns or something else? Something disguised as human-made?

Was this a trap for the Asgardians?

Thor opened his mouth and I caught his forearm, giving him a slight shake of my head. He closed his mouth and frowned at the men as they halted in front of us.

"Manannan Mac Lir to see Nabu. We have an appointment," I told them. I didn't want Thor announcing who he and Kara were if I could help it. I should have come alone and not risked giving the demons more Asgardian hostages.

The lead male narrowed his dark, almost black eyes and tilted his head. "Welcome to Dark Drake Endowments, Sea God. Prince Thor, Goddess Artemis, welcome. Please follow me."

Shells. The demons were far better informed than I'd hoped. Despite the twist in my stomach, I nodded, then looked sideways at my companions. Both Thor and Kara had slight scowls, their lips compressed into thin lines, but they also inclined their heads and didn't correct him on the current use of Kara's name.

The male led us to the elevators, with two of the guards walking beside us and two behind us. My senses on high alert, I hated having them behind me but Thor and Kara were also poised, moving on the balls of their feet. As we entered the elevator, the tension rose. No one spoke as the male swiped a card and chose the top floor.

The elevator shot up, matching my pulse as I waited for any sign of treachery. The air was almost thick. My muscles vibrated... waiting.

A sudden stop had me shifting to catch my balance, then the steel doors whooshed open in a silent expulsion of air and tension.

The male stepped out. "This way, please." A small smirk on his face had my teeth gritted. The fucker had known we expected them to pull something. He was enjoying this.

He led us down a hallway to a double set of black doors. With a double knock, he opened them and ushered us into a massive office that held a fireplace in one granite stone wall, a set of couches and armchairs, several black bookcases filled with various objects and books, a bar counter with stools, and a large mahogany desk. Leaning against the desk was an olive-skinned male in a dark grey bespoke suit, a lighter grey shirt and dark grey tie. Taller than our escort of guards, he was at least seven feet tall and clearly muscular, but not bulky.

"Thank you, Basmu. That's all for now," the male said in a smooth, deep voice as he waved away our guards. The five of them left, closing the doors behind them. Nabu, because it had to be him, stood away from the desk and smiled. A neatly trimmed black goatee surrounded that closed-mouth smile and pugilist's nose. Dark predatory eyes assessed us.

"Please, have a seat." He indicated the couches as he walked over to the bar. "Would you care for a scotch? Or something else?"

My fists clenched and I was about to snarl when Kara's hand on my arm had me biting back my reply.

"Yes, thank you," she agreed. Her tone was polite and the warning in her eyes had both Thor and I attempting to rein in our fury.

Slowly, I drew in a breath, held it, then released it, trying to rid myself of the tension singing through my muscles. Kara led us to a black leather couch, sitting between Thor and I, as Nabu returned with four tumblers of scotch, setting them on the glass and steel table between us. He sank into the couch across from us, crossing his calf over his knee and taking a sip of his scotch while eying us.