8. Burning Shadows

Verena was sore and sated after their night when the bells rang out.

"Come back to me husband." Verena whispered.

"Aye." Gregor agreed. He pulled her legs towards him and her eyes popped open. She shoved his face in her cunt and her jaw dropped. "For luck." Gregor remarked as he got up licking his lips.

"Sure..." Verena agreed confused before curling back up under the covers.

"Put some clothes on." Gregor corrected. "In the cunts get in before I get to you," verena nodded understanding. If they took the castle she might be in danger. Until Gregor came back. If he came back.

"Surely my sister has asked you to join her and the other highborn ladies?' Tyrion questioned Sansa

'She has my Lord but King Joffrey has asked for me to send him off.' Joffrey and Sandor appeared, Joffrey was swinging around a blade he wouldn't use as he prepared to quiver in the corner while the real men fought.

'He's always been a great romantic.' Tyrion told her, as Joffrey called out to her.

'Sansa! come here!' Joffrey demanded. Verena moved to sansas side as she moved glanced back at joffrey.

"What are you doing out here?" Sansa questioned.

"If things go south I want to be by my sister." Verena remarked holding her hand as they heard joffrey screaming to them.

'I will pray for your safe return my Lord.' Sansa said turning back to Tyrion

'Will you?' Tyrion questioned

'Just as I pray for the kings.' Sansa said turning around

'I pray for your safety lord tyrion. Honest." Verena offered with a small smile before following sansa.

'Your king rides forth to battle, you should offer his sword a kiss.' Joffrey told sansa. 'My new blade heart eater I've named it.' Joffrey told her 'kiss it!' he demanded and sansa slowly put her lips to blade. 'You will kiss it again when I return and taste my uncles blood.'

'Will you slay him yourself?' sansa questioned

'If Stannis is foolish enough to come near me.' Joffrey muttered trying not to be nervous.

'So you will be outside the gates fighting in the Vanguard?" Sansa questioned. Verena looked to sansa curious why she was being so bold speaking up to joffrey when normally she was quiet as a mouse.

'The king does not discuss battle plans with stupid girls.' Joffrey sneered.

'I'm sorry your Grace I am stupid, of course you'll be in Vanguard. They say my brother Robb always goes where the fighting is the thickest but he is a pretender.' Sansa remarked hopeful that joffrey would die having never seen battle before.

'Your brothers time will come and you can lick his blood of heart eater too.' Joffrey said walking off.

"Excuse me..." Verena whispered. Sansa watched her move to Gregor. He stared back at her silently. He held his hand out palm up and she stared down at it. Her hand was so small in comparison she offered him a small smile as she put her hand in his fingers locked with hers and her smile grew as he gave her a tug closer. A rough, calloused hand moved to her neck tipping her face to him. He kissed her and sandor rose a curious brow. Gregor had a heart? Since when? Since Verena Stark apparently.

"Be careful." Verena requested and Gregor nodded once. Grumbling something and Verena laughed out. "I'm going to hope you said something like yes I will come back in one piece." Verena agreed. "Be careful sandor." She added seeing him. Sandor nodded confused as he followed joffrey. Gregor didnt have a heart.

War was upon them....

🔥

"Verena!" Sansa called out as she ran to verenas chambers.

"Sandor what happened? Is gregor alright?" Verena questioned. Sandor grabbed the ale from the desk and downed it. "Sandor?"

"Imp set the water on fire. Its a fiery fucking mess down there." Sandor grumbled.

"Gregor?"

"Fucker is hard to kill." Sandor assured as the door pushed open. Sandor pulled verena behind him.

"Verena! Are you in here? Ahh!" Sansa screamed, she nearly jumped out of her skin seeing sandor.

'I'm not going to hurt you.' He told them.

"Sansa calm down. Sandor is family," verena reminded her and sandor never felt like he had a family. He knew he had to take the girls with him.

'what are you doing here?' Sansa shouted terrified. Screams could be heard outside the window. Verena saw the flames shadows bouncing off the water.

'Don't panic.' Sandor told sansa

'What are you doing here?' sansa questioned nervously

'I'm not here for long, I'm going.' Sandor told them.

'What? Where?'' Verena questioned turning back to him.

'Someplace that isn't burning he told them. North might be, could be.' he remarked. To go home. She could go home the thought of it made her smile but she thought about gregor. They were bonding. They were... married. Could she leave him? Maybe.

'What about the king?' Sansa stammered.

'Fuck the king.' Sandor spat. 'The king can die just fine on his own,' he informed her as he took a long sip of ale. 'I could take you with me take you to Winterfell. I'll keep you safe,' he told her 'do you want to go home?' but sansa hesitated.

"Home." Verena whispered. The capital had no felt like home.

'I'll be safe here Stannis won't hurt me.' Sansa said. Sandor took a step forward and she flinched back.

'Look at me,' Sandor told her and Sansa's eyes moved up to him. 'Stannis is a killer the Lannister's are killers your father was a killer your brother is A Killer your sons will be killer someday. Verenas sons will be big fucking killers." He assured and the thought of carrying a clegane sized baby in her freightened her. "The world is built by killers so you better get used to looking at them,' he said staring down at her.

'Stanis won't hurt us.' Sansa told him again 'You won't hurt me either,' Sansa said hopefully looking to Sandor.

'No little bird I won't hurt you,' sandor agreed. "Best of luck Verena."

"I hope to see you again. Brother." Verena agreed. Brother. Sandor stared back at her a moment longer. Brother. That word held so much hatred for him and yet it made him feel something deep in his chest to leave the only person that ever thought of him as true family.