3. Hateful

"You'll be glade of the hateful things I do someday when your sister is the Queen and I'm all that stands between her and her beloved king." He argued back. Verena nodded turning away from him. "Oh and Verena, I just heard the news, welcome to the family."

"What?" Verena rasped turning to him.

"You are going to be Verena Clegane at weeks end." Sandor informed her.

"You?" Verena realized and Sandor choked out a laugh.

"Me brother." He corrected. "I hope for your sake he doesnt eat you alive." Sandor remarked as he walked off.

"Gregor?" Verena called after him. "I'm to marry... oh Gods."  Verena stared back at sandor. At least with him she would have been safer but she didnt know about gregor. He seemed a monster of a man. Sandor came to her aid and everyone thought he was a scary monster. Maybe gregor wasnt so bad after all. Or maybe Verena was going to be eaten alive.

+

Verena felt sick. She couldnt marry gregor. He spoke in grunts and nasty glares. He would surely kill her.

Cersei smirked as she told verena the news but she didnt get the reaction she was hoping for.

"Sandor told me." Verena whispered. Joffrey huffed a breath.

"Should have married you to the dog." Joffrey offered with a wicked laugh.

"I thank you both for-" she choked out the words. "-finding me a match. It was very... generous of you."

"Wait until he rips you apart." Joffrey snarled.

"Then I will be done with the pain that is living." Verena agreed softly. Sansa was horrified. Her eyes went wide as she shook her head.

"Hes going to kill you!" Sansa corrected. "Havent you heard about those cleganes?"

"Of course I have. Same as you Sansa." Verena agreed. "But there is little I can do besides accept my fate."

"I dont want to be here without you." Sansa corrected hugging her sister. Sansa sobbed into her and one would think it was sansas life being ruined by this news. But sansa had always had a way about making things about herelf.

"I do not envy you having to marry joffrey but... you will be queen one day. Maybe it will better." Verena offered trying to soothe her sister.

"Verena father wouldnt want this."

"Father is dead. Joffrey did that. Joffrey and cersei are in charge. Remember that sansa. We are not in Winterfell we have no power here. We are at their whims. We have to do what they say." Verena instructed.

Verena looked to Gregor as he passed in the hall his eyes slid to her wordlessly. She opened her mouth to say something anything but her words caught in her throat.

Gregor was tall. Muscles on muscles from his training. From his killing. Verena watched him leave.

"Dont tell me like him." Sansa murmured.

"I dont know him." Verena corrected. "But hes..." tall. Muscled. A knight. In normal circumstances a man like him wouldnt look twice at a girl like her.

"A monster." Sansa agreed.

"Joffrey is a monster." Verena corrected softly. "Gregor will be my husband. I should give him a fair shake. Get it to know him. If he lets me."

"Good luck to you then." Sansa mumbled.

🐺

When verena got into her wedding dress she stared in the mirror. She over analyzed every inch of her when there was a knock at the door. Sansa peered in.

"Oh verena you look stunning!" Sansa declared. Verena ran her hands over the dark blue fabric touching the little chain belt around her waist.

"Thank you." Verena answered. "I feel sick to my stomach."

"I know this isnt what you want but I think father would be proud of how you are handling this." Sansa offered. "The both of us." Verena offered her a small smile.

"Father cant walk me down the aisle." Verena realized. She knew he couldnt but now thst the day was here. It all happened so quickly. She hadnt even spoken to gregor since she found out. Or at all really. She thought she should have had a conversation with her husband to be but she supposed she had a lifetime to do so.

"I can walk you-" sansa began when there was another knock. Sansa moved to the door but shuddered back seeing sandor.

"Ready Verena?" Sandor called past sansa.

"Yes. Im... shoes." Verena agreed slipping on her shoes before linking arms with sansa.

"The cunt of a king said im walking you down." Sandor remarked as they walked.

"Down?"

"Aye. The aisle." Sandor agreed.

"You dont have to do that." Verena corrected.

"It was more of a command than a request. I think its me or Joffrey." Sandor informed her and Verena swallowed the lump in her throat. It was all so real. It was happening. Right now. It had been three days since she found out and now... she was going to be Verena Clegane.

"Thank you sandor. Thats very kind of you." Verena offered softly.

"Verena-" sansa whispered.  Verena kissed sansas cheeks. "Thank you for being the best big sister... I love you."

"I love you." Verena agreed. "Go on and take a seat. Sandor is going to walk me down." Sansa nodded quickly leaving them. "Do you have more family?" Sandor stared down at her. "My little brother Rickon always said I can never marry because he didnt want me to leave winterfell. But here I am... left winterfell and life turned to hell."

"I am sorry." Sandor admitted. Verena met his gaze. "I should have given you an instruction giude on how to survive Gregor."

"Thats not reassuring." Verena informed him.

"Its the truth."