Murtasim didn't find him intimidating in the slightest. 'Naam kya hai?' He barked, his voice a decibel higher than the conductor's. (What is your name?)

'Farukh.' The conductor muttered more tamely, sensing competition in the male.

Then Murtasim spoke slightly slower, and clear. 'Farukh, aisay ilzamaat karney sey pehle saboot dekha jaata hai.' His stance wide and voice deep. More hostile than his opponent. (Before accusing you should check for evidence.)

Farukh nodded over zealously, knowing he would easily disprove the man. 'Aap sahe keh rahe hou Saab.' Then he turned his attention to Meerab. 'Madam, aapki ticket kahan hai?' He asked, trying to corner her. (You are right sir. Madam, where is your ticket?)

Meerab stuttered. 'Yahan hai,' she replied whilst looking around for the ticket. Her shaky, clammy hands swiped over the bench and then she peaked beneath it in an efforts to make a believable performance that she was searching for a ticket that didn't exsist. (It's here.)

She faked surprise at its absence.

'Nahi mila?' The ticket conductor asked, his words sounding like an accusation. (You didn't find it?)

Meerab fumbled her dupatta out of the way, furthering the mess that had been made. 'Shayad mainay mere bag mei rakha ho.' Her voice trembled. (May be I have kept it in my bag.)

'Dekhiye fir.' Farukh ordered, without a moment of wait for her to look on her own account. (Look then.)

Meerab picked her single bag and pushed her arm into it- trying to grasp onto something that was paper like.

But her time had run out. The conductor stepped back out into the corridoor and requested, 'Madam, aap bhe bahir aajaye.' (Madam, come outside.)

No. It was to soon. She hadn't reached far enough yet.

'Merey paas ticket hai. Mainay khareedi thi.' Meerab insisted, with her voice cracking in realisation of impending disposal off the train. Her hand was still deep in the bag but she retrieved it when they weren't convinced. (I have the ticket. I have bought it.)

It was predatory of Farukh to have barged in. It was night. She could have been sleeping- disoriented at his sudden presence. He was acting in a way to cause unnecessary distress and anxiety to the girl. Murtasim didnt like it one bit.

Murtasim saw her desperate attempt of finding the ticket, which appeared to have been in vain. She was flustered and quite evidently panicky. 'Bethi raho, main sambhalta hou.' Murtasim gestured to her bench, in a calm and collected manner, trying to steer the situation for her.

Meerab pleaded, 'Farukh Saab yakeen karein, mainey ticket lee thee.' She was adamant- like a child who failed to grasp the idea that not everything could be asked into existence. Meerab sat and crossed her arms in defiance. Her head titled out to the conductor in the hallway- he was less than a meter away and decided that her next tactic would be gaslighting. 'Mei chor lagti hou?' Jo ticket ke bina gussa'- she was cut off. (Sir, believe me, I had bought the ticket. Do I look like a thief to you? Who'll enter without a ticket-)

'Madam. Please aaye.' Farukj interjected, not interested in her mellow drama. (Madam, please come.)

Meerab was desperate to not be degraded infront of stranger- both Murtasim and Farukh. She had a dainty necklace around her neck with a small diamond pendant hanging from it. She began to fiddle with it and her scarf slipped off her shoulder whilst she was preoccupied, catching on her elbow. 'Yeh lelo, sona hai.' (Take this, this is gold.)

'Madam hummay ticket chaiye, nakli sona nahi.' Farukh dismissed her attempt at righting her wrong. Why would he trust a theif, he questioned himself, whilst adding liar to her list of qualities. (Madam we need ticket, not fake gold.)

Murtasim saw her dupatta fall and he couldn't bare it anymore. 'Meerab.' He repeated, this time with a little more authority, ingrained with need for her to comply.

They weren't taking her seriously.

She didn't hear him- she only heard the accusation that she could even wear fake gold and she gasped at the notion. 'Yeh sona hai!' Dekho kitna bahra hai.' She folded the chain and stood to hand it over to Farukh. (This is gold! Look how heavy it is.)

But before she could take a step, Murtasim put his hand out between the Meerab and doorframe, preventing her from stepping out into corridoor. It was a clear red stop sign.

He was just a stranger and yet he had intervened as if he was her own.

Taking another step would mean that his hand would be brushing over her body, namely her tummy, and that would be entirely scandalous.

'Hatau ye haath.' She instructed him, her voice a little shaky. Their earlier propriety had dissipated at the scene. 'Main ise train se nahi utrungi.' (Remove your hand. I won't get off this train.)

A hint of her mask lowered- she needed to stay on the train, desperately.

'Betho.' Murtasim commanded in an assertive tone and she heard just fine this time. (Sit.)

Meerab gulped and shook her head. 'Main dorr jana chahti haou. Mujhay roko mat.' She pleaded softly to Murtasim, with genuine hope that he would listen. (I want to go far away. Don't stop me.)

She didnt know him well enough, in that case.

He was adamant too. 'Ja jaana hai, chali jana. Pr abhi main sambhalta hou isko.' Murtasim tried to explain. (You can go wherever you want. But right now, I'll handle him.)

Meerab would like to think that it was the lack of sleep that that made her take her seat. But she was slightly perplexed at what he would be able to do that she couldn't- she was intimidating-ish too!

Farukh watched as Murtasim reached into his pocket to retrieve his wallet.

Then Murtasim passed over the same amount of cash that he had paid for his own ticket at the station, and then a couple extra for the hassle.

Bribery- A couple notes are all that it had taken to pacify him. 'Shukria saab. Araam karein, thori dair mei naashta aayega.' Farukh said in a much more welcoming tone as he turned to leave them in the peace of only each others company. (Thankyou sir. You may rest, the breakfast will be served in a while.)

The storm had passed and Murtasim looked down at her- innocently sat with her hands placed neatly in her lap. She was slowly taking inhales and exhales to soothe herself, knowing that her facade of a travelling student girl post-wedding was deteriorating.

Now his doubt had turned into fully fledged suspicion.

Note- special thanks to @HereinNowhere2 for editing this chapter !