2 - Dastak

Not 5 minute passed. It hadent even been enough time for the adrenaline to wear off when Meerab heard a rattle on the door- it gave her a second to brace herself in case she needed to fight, or argue or shout with someone.

Her heart pounded at the uncertainty of who was stood behind the door- she hoped it was that waiter that hadent probed excessivley. Her hands were trembling slightly as she called out, 'Jee?' (Yes?)

There was a seconds break between the handle twisting the door being pushed open a fraction- for decorum. A man peered in to see if there was any empty space. He sighed in relief when there was an entire bench spare and then opened the door fully to address her, 'Madam, yeh seat khaali hai?' ( Madam, is this seat free?)

Meerab cursed under her breath. The seat was free- except for her dupattas which appeared as though someone had abandoned it, without an owner in the world. She felt like she had already decived too much that day and her consciene wouldnt a let her utter another lie.

He didnt seem like a threat. He looked about 26 ish and was dressed in a lightly oversized blazer. It was business casual attire, with neat gelled hair. There was a strange pull inside her that wasn't so defensive at the sight of him.

So without saying a word, she reached forward to retrieve her dupatta and pushed it back-over her shoulders.

He understood her action to mean it was unoccupied but he stood in the door way, waiting, 'Madam, aapko bura tou nahi laggay ga agar mei yahan beht jau?' He enquired in a cautious tone, about her comfortableness as it would be a long journey ahead. ( Madam, would you mind if I take a seat here?)

Meerab considered her options and she came to the conclusions that she had played too many mental acrobatics that day - she had enough. Besides, the train had began moving and everyone that intended to ride was already seated, so lying would be futile and rather awkward.

Shook her head- it was free. That much communication would suffice between strangers. 

'Shukria.' He mumbled as walked he took a step in, with his black leather briefcase in one hand and small sized suitcase trailing behind him. He snapped the handle back in and pushed it under the bench. ( Thankyou.)

Then took his blazer off and Meerab tried to look away from him as he pulled it off his arms and hung it on the hook.

Her head instinctively twisted to look out the window to see the greens and brows mixing as they moved at high speed. She even pushed the sheer curtain to the side, to allow the little light to flood and make the space seem larger, to accomodate for two strangers confined an a closed space.

Then he arranged his newspaper to the side and turned for introductions. 'Kush aamdeed, main Murtasim Shah Nawaz,' he introduced as he sat down. He didnt bother outstretching his arm to shake as there was already enough palpable friction between them. ( Hi, i'm Murtasim Shah Nawaz.)

Meerab nodded- not even looking at acknowledge him. She had anticipated that she could have slept for the long journey or at least lie down and attempted to- but that plan had gone out to window too.

When she failed to reply, he led the way. 'Madam, aap ka naam kya hai?' He tried to break the ice. ( Madam, what's your name?)

She haden't expected taking to anymore- if she had known that he was of such a nature, perhaps she would have considered lying to keep him out. It would just be another sin to add to the long list of them.

'Meerab Waqas.' It came out like a confession. She pushed her hair out of her face- it had a habit of going against her wishes when she was already feeling a little vulnerable. Only worsened by the vibration of the train.

She didnt add an occupation or age or city.

He supposed that she was was introverted. 'Waisey, mei bhe zyada baatein karney ka shaukeen nahi hou. Par lamba safar kay liye, itnasa taaruf tou tezhib hai.' ( Usually, i'm not so talkative either. But for a long jounrey, this much conversation is just good manners.)

'Jee Saab.' She replied a little robotically. Her upper body swayed a little with left to right shakiness of the train. She wished for the ride to pass a little faster as she anticipated it wouldnt provide much rest or comfort. She wasen't even sure where he destination would be, only that it would be far away. (Yes Sir.)

There was a degree of formally between them as they both sat up straight with their legs neatly tucked in- neither taking too much room in the confined space.

Only in that moment did she feel a little over dressed compared to his formal suit, it was a little too pretty for public transport.

She noticed the small wooden pictures, to either side of his head as he busied himself , looking to the watch on his wrist. They didn't sway- contrary to physics. Perhaps they were fastened to the wall, she reasoned. She quite sure when she had developed the habit of over analysing everything in her mind, she had become cautious.

The speaker annouced that the next step would be in an hour in a static, muffled male voice. She didnt hear which station it was, but she hoped that he would get off on it.