I'm No Leader

~ ▬ι═══════ﺤ ~

"Can I speak with you for a moment?"

"But of course!" The cheerful vampire grinned from ear to ear; he couldn't resist a little chat with a living dragon. He wasted no time, too — standing upright using his four massive wings, he excused himself from his guild of rumbling bats, chirped with glee, and followed my lead. I said nothing all the while, directing him around the werewolves pack and toward the far end of the cavern, enough that even a warble wasn't loud enough to gather anyone's attention. I hoped that was the case.

"How fares your wing?" I asked first, careful not to push my initial need ahead of myself. Vulkar smiled again.

"Battered," replied the vampire, giving it a little shake for me to see. "I once feared broken. But I'm stronger than I appear. It will be some time before I can fly properly -- the swelling has yet to cease."

"Mm," I grunted back, finally reaching the side wall and slumping to the ground. Vulkar frowned, sealing his wings across his chest as if expecting something else. Another kind question, perhaps? But judging by the subtle silence that now found us both, he knew something was on my mind, something that hurt.

"I hope you're not mad that I-"

"Mad is one word for it," I growled at him with a lash of my tail. "They asked for my blessing! They bowed at my feet!"

Vulkar's smile disappeared. "Oh..."

"I know what you're trying to do. But, for the good of us both, please stop."

Seemed a little harsh. But I had to get the word across somehow — it bothered me too much to not speak upon. I began whirling my head away, only to cease when Vulkar exhaled from behind.

"They're treating you like royalty. And that... discomforts you."

"Yes," I answered. "A king is not what I am. Kantar never chose me to rule a mountain, he chose me to fight for it. Nor am I deserving of being followed, for I do not know how to lead — you've seen what has become of it—!" My tail pointed toward the mouth of the cave where smoke clouds blossomed over Jorryn. Vulkar's head lowered a second time.

"King? I am worse than that, I've cursed them with hopelessness. They are without a home and a leader, and it wouldn't have happened had I not interfered," I scowled at my own arrogance, clenched my jaws together to hold back my anguish. "I am nowhere near deserving of that title. I only wish to make way with that dreadful prophecy and go home..."

Vulkar sank down to his normal height, wrapping all four wings around himself. "I understand. And my... apologies for that. But, I did not actually tell them to hunt for you... they asked me to ask you."

"You... didn't?"

"Not at all," He flapped beside me to sound off. "My kin have a habit of diverting their attention to what I find important, like you. I remember once, my mate invited a pixie into Heil, and they were bombarded by food, grooming, and novelty. It was quite the sight!"

My eyes widened.

"Perhaps they're being too... subtle with things," he admitted, wavering his claws in a wavy pattern. "They find happiness in new beginnings. They're followers. And with my mate gone..." He trailed off, all three eyes now staring off into the darkness. "I hadn't realized my actions had that much of a consequence."

I shook my head. "Then maybe I overreacted to this. But it just felt... wrong. To me."

"No worries! Though it's difficult to tell them off." The albino vampire snorted once. "But... If I am to speak truths tonight, they aren't wrong for treating you this way. I would've done the same."