1 - Seeti

Meerab heard the whilst of the train signalling its departure. She needed to get onto that train or she would have to move onto plan B.

The dark outline of the trains's windows began moving against the stations backdrop and Meetab's heart dropped- forcing her legs to move towards it as the opportunity to board began to slip through her fingers like sand.

Her gaze followed as the stations roof became the blue sky and the rusting, bubling paint on the side of the vessel became all the more visible. She clutched her bag and tiffin a little tighter, and ran. Ran as fast as her legs could have taken her to to the open door that was calling out to her as the adrenaline coarsed through her veins.

The brick floor was covered in a layer of dry dirt which flaked off at the impact from the sole of her trainers. Her chest was burning at each inhale, exhausted from being over worked. Her calfs were sore from the uncountable steps she had taken that day in a hurry. Her hand came out to the metal bar, almost in reach and she tensed her hand, elongating to try grasp it.

The chugging the of the metal only proved that the train was accelerating. She didnt even have the opportunity to look back over her shoulder to see if anyone was watching her almost fail.

She tried to fasten her pace, propelling herself forward just that little bit more in a final act of desperation. Then she felt the cool of the metal under her fingertips as she grabbed on harder than she ever had before.

Meerab pulled herself up - partially swinging onto the moving train. She almost collapsed on the floor right there.

She took the largest inhale and exhaled in gratitude for her little victory- all hope was not lost. She planned to go far, far away from Islamabad and this was the fastest method that didnt require a passport.

Meerab looked and right along the corridor. It had mahogany interiors and dark green rough carpeted floor. It was first on a train. The motion made her feel slightly nauseas and hadent even taken a seat yet.

Her hands traced the wall as she took a couple steps further in to stabilise her from the shakiness of the moving carraige. It seemed that the doors lead to little booths.

The first booth's door with slightly ajar and Meerab almost cried out of joy when she saw it was empty. She took it as a sign- shewing her bag and tiffin onto the bench and fall back on the other side, attempting to close the door behind her. She cursed when it didn't have a lock to prevent access from the outside.

Meerab was was still heaving when she heard a knock on the door and she froze for a second. She smoothed over her hair that had tangled in the wind and she pulled her kameez to lay neatly. If this was going to be the end, it might as well have been in style.

Then there was another knock, but it sounded like knuckles, not like the hammering of an urgent open palm- she reassured herself. She called out, 'Jee?' Calmly, trying to disguise the panic. ( Yes?)

A man peaked in in an all white outfit and neat, gelled back hair. 'Madam, paani leegiyae.' He spoke formally as he extended his arm- he was holding a small tray with a singular glass of water on top. ( Madam, have some water.)

Meerab took the tray and placed it on the small table under the window. 'Shukria.' ( Thank you.)

'Agar aur kuch chaiye, tou batayiega,' he asked politely, eager to help. ( Please let us know if you need anything else.)

'Acha. Aur kuch nahi chaiye.' She dismissed and looked down at her palm- not feeling particularly social. She didnt want him to notice her glossy eyes. ( Okay. I dont need anything else.)

But she didnt hear his feet shuffling. Hes told there a second too long. 'Madam, main aapka samaan upar rakh dou?' He asked politley, surveying she was the only person in the cabin. ( Madam, should i place your luggage is the over head storage?)

One canvas bag and a tiffin could barley be classed as samaan. But that was all she could manage in her limited time frame.

Meerab knew one thing and that was that she was going to go far. She wanted to rest and supposed that her bag would be safer on the overhead compartment. She got the two straps of her shopper bags and tried the long hand straps into a knot and then again, for good luck.

'Yeh rakh deejiya.' She ordered without making eye contact, friending confidence. She tried to act like a female traveller in her commute, as though she knew the customs of travel. As though there was an air of superiority about her, it was the wall she had built around her to protect herself from the outside world. ( Yes, you may place it.)

She felt the weight being lifted from her hands and she heard the rustle of the fabric as he pushed it back on the over head rack.

'Aur kuch madam?' He asked curtly, eager to help. ( Anything else?)

'Nahi. Bas itna kaafi hai. Shukria.' She dismissed without wait. ( No, that's enough thank-you.)

Meerab guessed that he probably nodded before continuing on his way. She heard the door click closed again and she took a deep breath - for the sake of her poor lungs.