"I'm super busy actually." His eyes dropped to her handful of books on his desk. Finger extended, he pushed the clutter back like he'd contract germs. "I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding a tutor. Everyone here," he nodded to the rest of the class gathered near the door, "has missed you and your... stories a lot."

"Oh! I see how I could be such an inconvenience to you, with you being a famous model and all. I can't imagine your schedule with fans. You must think so lowly of me! I'm so embarrassed that I even asked you—"

"Adrien, c'mon." Alya was glaring his way. Wait, Alya? Right, ok. Anger management might be on the table after this.

He sighed. "Lila, I just said I'm busy. Please respect that."

"Dude," now Nino was looking at him nastily, "she's just been doing missionary work and saving lives. It's the least you could do."

"So you want to help her then?" he snapped.

"You know my grades aren't nearly as good as yours!"

Lila broke out with a hurt noise. "My return is causing so much trouble! Maybe I should have just stayed on the other side of the world..."

"Lila," he gritted, "don't say nonsense like that." Of course she should've stayed on the other side of the world – Adrien wasn't stupid, however, and knew she'd likely never even left the district.

"Aw! Adrien..."

She took his words as sympathy and invited herself to snuggle into his side just as the door crashed down with someone's tardy – and theatrical – entrance. Never before had the sight of a dishevelled, huffing Marinette with her hair half-falling out and croissant hanging out her mouth sent his heart flying so high.

"Marinette!"

"Marinette," Lila's voice spat at the same time.

"I'm so sorry I'm late! I'm—Wait Chemistry hasn't started has it? Why is everyone—?" Stepping past the people clogging the front, Marinette caught his wide-eyed, helpless victim look as Lila glared, disgusted, hands buried in the collar of his shirt.

She blinked.