Frozer

A/N: dw you guys are still getting jealous Marinette and Adrien 

-

Kagami was nice—to be around, not necessarily as a person.

But coldness in a woman was a thing you could never blame deeply. To Adrien her company was familiar; aspects of their childhood reflected each other, and the fierce boldness of her character reminded him of Ladybug in a deniable way, so fencing lessons became more tolerable despite losing more often. He'd learnt that morning that Kagami possibly had feelings for him – she wanted him to 'change targets' after he unsuccessfully tried to tell Ladybug about what he felt for her.

Kagami was drawn to something in him and he allowed himself the new loyal friend, though a part of him considered it wise that perhaps—after many failed attempts to get his feelings out to Ladybug—he should consider seeing her as more than that; for her to be his new target.

Maybe that was why her name slipped out when Marinette—for some reason—suggested they all go ice skating. If she could indulge in flirtatious friendships, why couldn't he?

Because you're in love with Ladybug.

Because people think you're dating your enemy.

Because you can't make sense of your feelings with anyone.

Right.

A few reasons.

So although he'd inferred to Marinette that they had to let Luka and Kagami in on their dating lie, after stewing on Kagami's hint of a confession all morning, he was almost hoping Marinette forgot he said that just so he could make sense of himself.

Could Kagami be his new target? Could he really let Ladybug go?

"It was really cool of you to bring Kagami, Adrien," the usual cause of his bad mood said as she laced her ice skates. He could recognise that pretentious sneer in Marinette's tone from the sweetest of her sentences.

She would take every chance while the others couldn't hear to reaffirm their toxic dynamic. And he couldn't blame her – especially since yesterday's show of faking chemistry as Ladybug and Chat Noir for Clara's music video, knowing how much the other loathed their own character: Marinette degraded Ladybug's marvellousness, and she thought Adrien hated Chat Noir. But little did she know, he'd been forced to dressed as his stylish alter ego and almost risk his identity by his father, then watch his biggest foe imitate the love of his life whom she insulted daily.

Not only that, but she looked dang good while doing it.

Adrien had always described Marinette in his head to be "a whole lot of prettiness wasted", and he'd since learnt the depth of that fact when she wore Ladybug's—his lady's—suit. That was downright criminal.

"Of course," his smugness replied, "that's what friends are for!"

He glanced up and saw Luka dart his eyes away bashfully. Something was troubling him, and a selfish, undefined part of Adrien hoped it was him.

"Remember. Don't let her fall." Marinette stood up, and the severe way she looked at him communicated the second meaning of her words: Don't let Kagami fall for you.

Honestly, she was right for a few reasons, but this was his enemy – which reason was saying? Don't let her fall for him because she deserved better? Marinette didn't have a problem with Kagami; she had a problem with him. But maybe she didn't want Kagami's feelings to be toyed with because she was planning on letting the others in on their messed-up charade.

He looked over to Kagami a few blue chairs down, who forced herself to purse her lips sweetly. Her inability to smile amused Adrien and Marinette's words were casually forgotten.