Black Cat's Luck

A/N: Adrien has a terrible week

-

The problem wasn't that they were failing couples' therapy.

It was that they were excelling.

It'd be all bickering and nudges and mockery of nicknames until they sat before Miss Bustier in silence then dumbfounded her in their expertise during teambuilding exercises – which at first, Adrien attempted to do in riddled quiet so Marinette would fall behind in his unclear steps, but the uncanny part was that they kept up with each other, as if they had the same idea.

Adrien wouldn't admit that was the case. Just as he wouldn't admit a lot more.

"I hope this is the last time we have to do this, don't you?"

Marinette and Adrien nodded, shoulders stiff.

"I'm amazed at the progress made." Miss Bustier stared earnestly, seeking agreement as if even she had no clue what progress was made. "You're a quiet two except for when it comes to arguing. Luckily, I haven't seen any more blow ups in class. And I've seen how sweet you really are when it's just you two."

The 'just them two' were truthfully them and Miss Bustier whenever the feeling of her spying eyes stung them. If she were in the hallways, Adrien would flounce to Marinette's side and take her bag as if they were always walking besides each other (he took her purse once, but she screamed and freaked out, as if his nose hadn't already ratted her out to know that's where she stored cookies to eat in class).

It wasn't really a matter of jolting into a dating demeanour but more jolting out of a hysterical hate. Mid-argument in corridors they'd jump into normalcy if their teacher were in sight. Once, when Adrien noticed another Chat Noir film strip she'd printed out was angled an inch over his locker door, covering Ladybug's face on a sunset picture, he was ready to lay qualms, since once again they were both already late to class after an akuma attack. But on Miss Bustier's way to collect printing she'd seen them through the locker room window and was fast approaching, so in extremes Adrien threw his hands around Marinette and hugged her tight.

"It'll be okay," he had said, quite loudly for such soft words, so Bustier would hear and 'understand their tardiness', which the presented 'emotional crisis' also earnt them a few extra minutes– of which were more arguing anyway about Adrien's indecency to not 'warn her' that they'd be touching fronts first.

Now, it sounded like they could finally put an end to this couples' therapy thing.

"The arguing was over such silly things. I guess we had just skipped to the marriage phase," Adrien jested, receiving a punctuated, sarcastic laugh besides him. "These sessions have been... great for our, um, communication skills."

Miss Bustier feathered test papers and set them aside so she could steeple her hands in serious teacher-fashion. "Honestly, I can only gather so much from what you two share with me, and it seems you have an intense care for each other that you don't articulate. But your chemistry and teamwork really come out during those exercises. In fact it's unbelievable sometimes." She chuckled and sipped her coffee. "I haven't had any complaints about you two since Lila confronted me about the supposed toxicity your relationship creates in the classroom, and she's on her missionary trip anyway."

A muscle in Adrien's jaw jumped.

"There's also been no complaints from Mrs Mendeleiev about your heated debates in toastmasters, thankfully. So I believe we can put these sessions to a close, if—" she pointed, "—you two can manage to work together for your physics assignments well enough to get a good mark."

He swallowed and inched forward in his seat. "But Miss Bustier, we haven't been assigned partners for that task yet."

She set her mug down. "Now you have."