Chapter VIII "Outreach Day and Breaking Shell's"

(Y/n) POV:

I woke up and got ready for the day as I put on my mask and walked out the door towards the Quad where Ms. Weems was giving her speech about todays "Outreach day" "You woke up really late, Weems is almost done with her speech," Enid said "Good, means I won't have to sit through a pain staking, ear piecing speech," I said while sitting down.  "As representatives of our school, I trust you will all put your best face forward," Weems said as teachers started passing out pamphlets, Laurel came up to me and handed me a one before whispering "I'm sending you to the same place as Wednesday, keep an eye on here," "Understood," I replied as we parted ways.

I looked at the pamphlet and saw the words "Uriah's Heap" "What kind of place would be named Uriah's Heap?" I asked myself "A really old, creepy, antique store," I heard someone suddenly say which startled me a little "Jesus on a stick!" I blurted out while turning around to see Enid with a smirk "Were you scared?" she asked while snickering.  I put the pamphlet away before looking back at Enid "What is it?" I asked in annoyance "Just wanted to tell you what your dealing with," she said as I sighed "So you nearly gave me a heart attack... for an explanation?" I asked as she nodded.

"Anyway, looks like your going to the same place as Wednesday," she said while walking away 'Guess Laurel wasn't lying,' I thought to myself while getting onto the bus that took me and a couple of other students to Jericho before getting off and making my way towards the main area and taking a seat where the mayor was giving a speech.  After a while, the mayor gave a speech, which wasn't anything special, mostly about his appreciation for us showing up and volunteering and also Weems telling us when to return for lunch, which I honestly didn't care about 'As long as the day passes quickly, I'll do what ever I need,' I thought to myself before making my way to Uriah's Heap.

When I walked inside I was greeted by the sight of Ajax and "Enid?" I asked as she turned around with a smile "(Y/n)! How's it going?" she asked as I was stunned in silence "...Isn't Wednesday suppose to be here?" I asked "Wednesday switched places with me so I could have my chance with Ajax," Enid whispered to me as I suddenly felt anger in my body.  'I'm actually gonna commit a crime,' "Your telling me... that Wednesday is no longer gonna volunteer here?" I asked while trying to contain my anger as she nodded "Alright... I'm gonna use the restroom real quick," I said while making my way inside before punching a hole in the wall.

'GOD DAMNIT ENID!!!' I took out my phone and dialed laurel as I waited a while "What is it?" she asked as I took a deep breath "Yea Laurel... we got a situation," I said, trying to remain calm "What do you mean?" she asked "Enid traded places with Wednesday, now she's lord knows where and Enid is here with me," I said as silence followed for awhile. Just as I was about to speak, she suddenly spoke "Don't worry, the situation isn't jurassic, but don't let this happen again," she then hung up and I calmed down before walking back out and was greeted by a women with grey hair and looked like a cat lady "Evening little volunteer," she said as I just waved and walked back.

When I entered the room, I saw Enid and Ajax both brushing the fur of stuffed animals "Was it really worth the trade if all your gonna do is brush roadkill?" I asked while grabbing her brush "I don't even know what to say," she said to me as I started brushing "What is there to think about, just talk to him," I simply said while putting the brush down.  "Why do you suddenly care?" she asked "Because I'm gonna be able to do my task," I whispered to myself "Just talk to him, the sooner you both get together, the sooner you get out of my life," I said before picking up the brush again as Enid left to talk to Ajax.

"Young Volunteer, can you come here real quick?" I heard the women ask "You mean me?" I asked as she nodded and I put done the brush while walking towards her "What do you need?" I asked as she signaled me to follow her 'Not suspicious at all,' I thought to myself before following her and finding myself at a table with a tea set and her sitting on a chair "Take a seat," she said as I complied. As soon as I sat down she immediately spoke "You can take off your mask, nothing I've seen in this business is more surprising than a kid with a see through head," she said as I froze "How did you-," "People seem to forget about how you have no eyes," she said, cutting me off.