Epilogue

I sat directly behind the prosecutor as the jury filed back into the courtroom. The last four weeks had been gruelling, reliving every nightmare one after another. Mason's lawyer was vicious, using everything she could to make Mason seem like the victim.

I could see it in the eyes of the jury that it was a fool's errand. People turned away from the photo evidence, and I could see the disgust in their eyes during witness testimony. Because of the 'trauma' I endured, I wasn't required to testify, but I did it anyways. When Mason's lawyer insinuated that I had brought this upon myself, something snapped inside of me.

"Do you have a daughter, Ms. Brinker?"

"What is the relevance to that?"

"If your daughter ever told you that someone hurt her, would you tell her that she brought it upon herself?"

"You're on the witness stand, Ms. Hathaway-Mazur," the judge said but I nodded.

"I'll get to my point. We live in a world now where blaming the victim is not socially acceptable anymore. I certainly did not ask for someone to run a red light and drive into my car, I did not ask to be put into a coma and have last issues, and I most definitely did not ask for unsolicited photos of myself to be posted online! And I can guarantee you that I did not ask to be shot! Now if you're going to stand there and continued to suggest that I 'asked for it' because I dated Mr. Ashford, then you are sorely mistaken! I never asked for any of this!"

After my warranted outburst, they called for a recess. I left the courtroom and breathed deeply through my nose. I gripped the back of the chair closest to me as a hand touched my shoulder. I jumped and spun around finding the last person I expected to approach me.

"Mrs. Ashford," I said quietly, noticing the prosecuting lawyer approaching.

"Ma'am, you cannot be here," the lawyer said but she just held her hand up.

"I just want you to know that I have always believed you, Rose. I never doubted what you said for a second. Mrs. Brinker may be attacking your character, but I know the truth, I know that the jury can see it too. Whatever the outcome, I know who my son turned into."

I smiled tightly at her. "Thank you, Mrs. Ashford."

She nodded and pulled me in for a quick hug, kissing my cheek. She let out a shaky breath and nodded to herself before turning, nodding at the lawyer as she passed.

"Are you alright?" the lawyer asked. I felt bad for not remembering his name, but my memory was playing tricks on me lately. Deidre said that it was a mixture of anxiety and PTSD, my brain responding to the stress I was feeling. She said in a way my brain was trying to suppress things to make me feel safe, but it was suppressing the wrong information. Like names and things like what I needed to pick up from the store and such.

"I'm okay," I said quietly, catching Dimitri lingering near the doorway the lawyer came through. I nodded at him and he came down the hall, wrapping his arm around my waist and kissing my head.

"She ruffled your feathers, but it's in your favour," Dimitri soothed. I nodded and leaned into him and he let me, taking some of my burdens and lent me his strength.

"Do you think that Rose will need to go back on the witness stand?"

"I have to finish the cross, but after that Rose should be able to leave if needed."

"I know that I said I'd come to the trial, but I need a break," I whispered.

"I understand, this is a lot for anyone," the lawyer said.

"Thank you for understanding, Mr. Kemple."

Roger Kemple, that's what his name was. His second lawyer was Mildred of all names, and somehow I remembered that. I rubbed my temple and Dimitri looked at me worriedly, but I waved him off.