5

It seemed like any progress I made was shattered. My dad all but put me on house arrest when I got home, and I got another earful from my mom about being melodramatic and immature. Dimitri seemed to be keeping me at arm's length too, which sucked even more.

I felt like I was a prisoner in my own home now. Before I felt like I had to hide away in my home, but now I was a prisoner.

I laid back on my bed and sighed quietly, tossing the bean ball up and thumping it against the ceiling. I had pretty much stayed secluded in my room the last week, not wanting to listen to Mom's incessant nagging.

"Knock, knock."

I paused in throwing the ball and glanced to the side before throwing the ball again.

"What?"

"Excuse me?"

"What?" I repeated, moving to throw the ball at the wall across from me.

Dimitri made a scoffing noise and stepped into the room, catching the ball mid-throw. I huffed and sat up, raising my brows at him.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"You've been holed up in here all week," Dimitri said and I rolled my eyes at him.

"Yes, but I've been put on house arrest because I dare leave the house alone after being sick and tired of being belittled in my own home. Sue me for not wanting to subject myself to more of that," I snarked and laid back.

Dimitri sighed dryly and stood at the side of my bed, his arms crossed loosely over his chest.

"Rose."

"Listen, I get it, I made my own bed so I need to lie in it. It doesn't mean I have to like it," I grumbled and bit my bottom lip, looking up at the ceiling. Dimitri lingered at my side for a moment before he boldly lay on the spot next to me, crossing his arms over his chest.

I looked at him quizely and he sighed quietly.

"I'm sorry that I snapped at you, but I don't think you understand the severity of leaving and not telling anyone where you were going," he said and I rolled my eyes, planting my feet on the duvet and huffing.

"I get it, I do," he continued, "You feel like your mother isn't taking this seriously. And you aren't the only one who feels that way. But we can't force her to do anything. But your father and I do believe you. Please don't think that my concern wasn't there, because when I got that phone call...I haven't been scared like it in a long time."

I wiggled my nose and tried to fight the curiosity that rose in me, but it won out.

"When was the last time you were scared like that?"

"My last placement," he whispered, "I went on a sabbatical because of what happened."

"Will you tell me?"

Dimitri swallowed thickly and licked his lips, agitation clear on his face and I was about to drop the subject before he nodded his head.

"Her name was Carrie Andrews. She was the daughter of a political party member. He had hired me and another to tail her while he campaigned. She was pregnant, twin boys," Dimitri started and I rolled onto my side to look at him.

"What happened?"

"Car accident. Someone wanted to hurt her father, so they went after her. A similar situation that you were in, except, it was a head-on collision. Carrie was in the passenger seat but had taken her seatbelt off because she was trying to take her coat off. She went through the windshield. And I sat on the road waiting for an ambulance while she bled to death in front of me. I had been working with Carrie for three years at the time."