Six

The ride home was silent. Liam didn't know what to talk about, and Paul didn't seem like he did either. 

"So, are you single?" Paul asks, staring straight ahead at the road.

"I'm sorry, what?" 

Paul shakes his head. 

"Sorry. I didn't know what to talk about. "

"Y-yea," Liam looks away awkwardly. The ride was silent again until Paul pulled his car up into Liam's driveway. He glanced over at his neighbor's house, noticing a familiar red truck in the driveway. 

"You've got to be kidding me," Liam muttered as he got out of the car. 

"Is everything alright?" Paul asks, also climbing out of the car. Liam looks at him startled, not expecting him to get out of the car as well. 

"O-oh, it's nothing. Just forgot Chief Swan lived next door to me. I would have rode with Jacob if I remembered that, " Liam said. "Sorry for making you drive all the way over here,"

Paul waved his hand in front of his face.

"Don't worry about it. It was nice to meet you, Liam. Hope to see you around, " Paul said and hopped back into his car. Liam watched as he drove away before turning towards the house next door. Jacob walked out of the house before turning towards Liam and stalking over. 

"Liam, what the hell were you doing with Paul Lahote?" He asked, his voice full of annoyance. 

"He, um, gave me a ride h-home."

"Why didn't you just ride with me? I offered you a ride, " Jacob said.

"I forgot Bella lived next to me... Sorry"

Jacob opened his mouth to say something, but a silver Volvo pulled up in front of Liam's house. Edward stepped out of the driver's side. Edward walked over to Liam and wrapped his arm around his waist. 

"Is there a problem?" Edward asked, glaring at Jacob and pulling Liam closer to him. 

Jacob glared back at Edward.

"No. We're fine, " Jacob said, and the door to Bella's house opened. Bella came walking out of the house and lit up when she noticed Edward. Her eyes glared at the arm around Liam's waist before he continued to walk over to the three boys. 

"Edward! I didn't expect you to stop by my house!" Bella said once she reached them. To the public eye, Liam was dating Jasper, so Edward let go of Liam's waist but still had Liam close to him. 

"Um, hey Bella," Jacob said. 

Bella ignored him and continued to stare at Edward. Edward cleared his throat.

"We should get going," Edward said and pulled Liam towards the car. 

"I'll see you at school, Edward!" Bella called out before Edward closed the car door and drove off. 

"Are you okay, Li?" Edward asked.

"Yea. Thanks for picking me up. "

Edward rested his hand on Liam's thigh, zooming down the roads of Forks. The car pulled up to the Cullen house, and Edward got out before walking over to Liam's side of the car and opening the door for him. 

"Thank you," Liam said and walked into the open house. Edward followed behind Liam, closing the door behind him. 

Liam walks up the stairs towards the kitchen, where Esme is cooking a meal for Liam. Carlisle was helping around as Emmett just leaned against the counter with his arms crossed. Emmett smiled as Liam walked into the kitchen.