I couldn't quite describe how I felt in this very moment. I felt anxious, not really knowing if she was actually the one texting me. Anxious to see her if it was actually her. Upset because she had just left me without saying a word. Angry because I needed her. Sad because I didn't have her. Happy because she might just be here. Conflicted because of all the emotions that went through my body.

It was dark and even though I knew exactly where I was going I couldn't really see much. I didn't see her. I didn't see anybody, so I wandered around, my hands shaking while trying to text back the unknown number.

"Izzie?"

I turned around as soon as I heard the voice that used to give me butterflies just at the sound of it.

"Yes." I just stated, still looking around for her.

As I looked to my left I saw her walk up to me. From afar it just looked like a shadow, but as she got closer I could clearly see her. Her eyes shimmered in the moonlight and her long black hair flowed behind her as always. As she approached me I noticed she looked different. She looked skinnier than usual, the smile I loved so much didn't make an appearance, her face that always glowed now looked more dull as if the light inside of her had died, and her eyes, oh so beautiful but I could tell something was missing.

Seeing her brought up so much in me. I wanted to yell at her but all I could feel was my heart burning up at the sight of her.

"Hi." She spoke, softly and carefully.

I tried to say hello back, but the moment I tried to speak I chocked up and tears started streaming down my face.

"Hi." I finally spew out.

She didn't say anything but instead stepped closer to me and pulled her arms around me.

I didn't say anything either, I just let her hug me as I stood there crying. I was hurt, and she was the only person where I could allow myself to feel the pain.

Her lip quivered against my ear and I could hear the quiet sobbing noise. It shattered me. I had been selfish. She was hurting more than I realized, and I hated myself for not realizing that sooner.

I pulled away from her embrace and I just looked at her. She looked so fragile, so weak. I couldn't be angry with her.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Hmm." She nodded. "Listen, Izzie—"

"No, don't worry. All is good. I want to talk about you."

"No. You don't always have to fix the hearts you didn't break. I'm here for you, I owe you an explanation and the biggest apology, if you allow me."

"You don't need to—"

"Izzie." She interrupted me. She tried to sound firm like she always did but her voice was weak and didn't hold much power.

Still I listened and I put my lips together, allowing her to speak.

"I am so sorry for leaving the way I did, for not answering your calls, for not reaching out. I have been feeling awful lately. Guilty. I can't help but feel like I'm the reason you got hurt, like every time we get closer to eachother something happens to you and I can't forgive myself for it."

She sobbed, quietly. "He hurt you Iz. He almost took your life. The guy I went home to almost every night, the guy who I laid next to after he did the most horrible thing to you. How could I possibly forgive myself for that? He hurt you and I am so incredibly angry and hurt. I've always wanted to protect you, but it feels like I'm the one you need protecting from."

Her watery eyes were glistening, her nose red and her cheeks were burning up. She had never looked more broken. Although she was taller than me, in this very moment she looked so small. Like a broken vase that had been put together too many times and it was close to shattering beyond repair.