Chapter 15: Better Than Me

The room was filled with a dark-foreboding sense of deceit as Jensen sat with the woman in front of him. She was revelling in her mane of red hair, staring at him incredulously. Leg over his other, he leaned back and surveyed her. Dressed in a skimpy skirt and a revealing top, her cleavage practically begged to show. Hidden beneath masks of makeup, she spat at his feet. Simply lowering his gaze to his foot, he quirked an eyebrow and then raised his brow again. The room was dank, dark and isolated. The spotlight above them was the only light in the room, leaving a snarling sound most likely from the woman sat in front of him. "What's the deal with you?" Jensen asked steadily, perfectly confident. 

"I'm not answering to you." She said, her tinkling voice a stark contrast to her gruff expression. Completely ignoring her statement, he carried on smoothly. "What were you doing in that backstreet?" His professional tone sounded like he's done this a thousand times before, which he had. 

"Working," She flashed him an ugly grin, readjusting herself in the chair. 

"What kind of work?" 

"Killing is so mainstream huh?" She smiled another pathetic grin, looking proud and smug. Jensen's eyes flashed, his mind caving in on itself 

"See, you know what I'm capable of," He carried on, no hint of a threat in his voice. She visibly tensed under his scrutiny. All of Sloan's thugs knew that if Jensen was about, there would be destruction. "So don't test me." He smiled mockingly, gesturing at her to speak. 

"Speak." Regaining her composure, she shrugged and gave him a pointed look. 

"Well I guess there's no harm in telling you now," She gave him a sly look before continuing. "I don't see Sloan but I know your in deep shit," Smiling, she chuckled. "I don't know what you did that's got him angry but it's not good at all," Kicking at the table, his temple started to tick irritatedly. "Get to the point," He said gruffly, staring her down. 

"I was just delivering a message to one of the hierarchy's," She seemed tense now as Jensen's face hosted fury. 

"What message?" His voice was still smooth but started to hold another type of anger to it. 

"Susan Collin's address," She grimaced when Jensen shot to his feet. 

They're tracking her to ruin our wedding and us.

Jensen strolled towards the door and called the nearby officer in. "Put her in a solitary cell," Nodding obediently, the man took her away but she carried on glaring at him. Feeling nauseous, he paced back and forth, wondering how on earth Susan was involved. The weight of everything crushed him. Sighing heavily, he opened the door and decided to head home. A sudden wave of memories from when Gale and Jensen were in university hit him. He wanted to do an advance on top of his degree, only later. Smiling to himself, he trailed through police station, not noticing the glances thrown his way. The place was suffocating and hideous. Full of deceiving and conniving monsters. He needed Gale to lighten him up. Practically running now, he slid into his Bugatti and drove. However another wave of thought hit him as he remembered what that woman had said about Susan. Slowing down, he stopped at the traffic lights, then pulled out his phone. Attaching the Bluetooth to his ear, he switched it on and called for Susan. Waiting there with his grip on the wheel tightening with each ring, he nearly sighed with relief when she picked it up.