I scowl before forcing a fake, sickly-sweet smile onto my face. "Must show my devotion to His Majesty."

Ruben rolls his eyes before darting out the door, his footsteps cascading into the depths of the tower.

Ajax clicks his tongue and shakes his head. "Poor dude."

I press my lips together, cringing at the pitched screech of a dying man below. "Imagine having a monster of a father." I give my head a shake. "I couldn't bear it. My father was the kindest man. He cherished my sister and I."

Ajax traipses towards the exit, and I fall into step behind him. "I'm jealous. My father was a true creature."

"How so?" I focus on my footing, gripping the handrail as we wind down the tight, spiral staircase. Cold air seems to ooze from the chunks of stone around us.

"It's actually how Ruben and I became friends when we were boys." He casts a curious glance over his shoulder. "Let's just say, I still have nightmares about him, and how he died."

"How did he die?" I dare ask, wishing I could shove the question back in my mouth at once.

Ajax pauses, his green hair bright in the flickering candlelight above him. "He used... little bits of poison in my food to manipulate me into being sick my entire life. A sick Concave child entitles families to privileges. A fancy home near the most pristine apothecaries and medicinal professionals. It got him close to the palace, where he weaselled his way into the king's inner circle. I killed him with his own medicine."

Silence ripples between us as we emerge from the tower stairwell and cross into the main hub of the palace. The fiery orange hues of the setting sun blow through the arched windows to our left. Maids and servants, who are usually in a frenzy of activity at this hour, are mere half-frozen shells of people. Some of them stare out the windows at the corpses. Others cower on the floor, sobbing. A few ladies polish a sculpture of the king, trembling with terror.

My heart clubs in my chest and we quicken our pace, weaving our way through the hallways, and corridors, trying to ignore the hopelessness, desperation, and despair shadowing the palace walls as the dead stiffen below the dying sun. Tears slip down my cheeks as we arrive in my room.

When the door clacks shut, a sob tears from my lips.

"Hey," Ajax says, pulling me into a hug, shushing me gently as he brushes my hair, letting me soak his shirt with my tears.

"You killed your father." Pain, for my friend, scorches through my chest, squeezing my heart.

"It had to be done," he says, loosening an ancient breath as if he'd held it for years. "The man beat and destroyed my mother my entire life slowly, painfully, over many years. I found her body when she decided she could no longer take the humiliation. He was a monster, Elle. So, my heart aches for Ruben. I can understand what he is going through, that feeling of responsibility crushing his shoulders."

The wind drains from my lungs, and I fight to gather it back. "I am glad Ruben has someone who sees him."

"You see him, too."

I pull open the wardrobe, and rifle through the array of dull and bright fabrics, before selecting a maroon and brown trousers and linen long sleeve. With a smirk, I gesture for him to turn around.

He chuckles and turns, sitting on the corner of the bed.

I change into fresh clothing and thread my belt through the pants.

Ajax releases a breath of a laugh. "Since we are getting to know one another, something else you might want to know is that I'm not interested in people like that."