TBI 05: Mission

[ Chapter 05: Mission ]

- Omniscient –

Valan Pierce Verlarez was the sole heir of the House of Verlarez, a noble lineage that traced its roots back to Adelian royalty. Raised in the prestigious Academy of Zegordia, he honed his skills and graduated as a noble knight. In his youth, Valan's talents were quickly recognized, leading to his appointment as a Sergeant Major. Over time, his leadership abilities flourished, and he ascended to the rank of Captain, commanding a platoon in Adel.

Through a series of triumphant battles, Valan's reputation soared, eventually earning him the esteemed position of Commander of the Special Order of Knights. His new role was to foster harmony and peace among the various states, serving as a beacon of stability in troubled times. However, his most recent mission was to safeguard the land of Dior in the absence of the Duke of Silverstein.

Currently, bestowed with the title of Commander of the Blue Steel, Valan assumed command of a remarkable ship dedicated to protecting the West Waters of Zegordia from invasions and illegal activities, both on the surface and beneath the waves. The Blue Steel was no ordinary vessel; it was an extraordinary creation, crafted with the aid of the Clandestine Memoir, the Golden Iris, and a legendary deity: Fate of Esher. Its magnificent core, blessed by Fate, powered the entire ship and possessed the unique ability to detect dangers across the vast seas.

The Blue Steel had been a gift to Valan in recognition of his pivotal role in the successful resolution of the conflict involving the Duchess of Silverstein. While the victory brought him glory and acclaim, it also left an emptiness within him that lingered. Despite his accomplishments, Valan yearned for a deeper sense of fulfillment, seeking meaning beyond the battlefield.

"I heard you went overboard while fighting a sea slug," a soft voice of a woman enveloped Valan's ears, breaking his reverie. He turned to face the source, finding himself before the Queen herself. Her concern was evident in her eyes. "If it weren't for your shapeshifters, you might have been buried in the sea," the Queen remarked, her tone a mix of relief and worry.

Valan nodded, acknowledging her words. "I appreciate your concern, your Majesty," he replied, his voice lacking any hint of enthusiasm. "However, I assume you did not summon me to the Palace just to discuss that incident."

He was well aware of the formalities when addressing the Queen, but their past encounters had fostered a more casual rapport between them. She turned away from the long sofa and made her way to a nearby cabinet, her focus shifting to finding her agenda.

As she opened the cabinet, her eyes scanned its contents, searching for the familiar sight of her agenda. Seisha's fingertips brushed against the smooth surface and touched a bottle with little pieces of tablets inside, and with a sense of relief, she retrieved it from the cabinet's depths.

"You know what happens if you burn out the core," she said. Tinapon niya ang bote sa gawi ni Valan at walang pang-alinlangan namang nasalo ng binata ito. "Take one tablet a day, Valan. It will help you repair the cells a lot quicker and reduce the reactor from heating too much— and when I say one tablet, I mean it!"

It was too late for Seisha to stop him. Valan opened the bottle effortlessly while she was talking, and he swallowed all of it up without leaving a single tablet behind. Valan looked at her without any hint of emotions, and that left the Queen to facepalm herself.

"Oh, goodness gracious," she murmured. Her voice was laced with frustration but there is still care. She then lifted her head and looked at him eagerly. "What should I do with you? You never listen to me, nor to the King. We are your only family, Valan, at least give us that—"