TBI 30: Promise

[ Chapter 30: Promise ]

— Omniscient —

Fate of Esher turned Selvyna's powerful voice into a harp that will play beside the Blue Steel everytime it starts to burn, like a friend that will embrace its vulnerability and help it overcome the pain, a comforting melody, a companion to the Blue Steel's fiery turmoil. Dahil din dun ay kaya nang gawin ni Valan ang matagal na niyang hinihiling, ang makalakbay ng malayo sa karagatan ng hindi pinoproblema ang kanyang sakit.

It was not a miracle, because Fate didn't filter the truth. Valan knew what Selene had done, and where she went after that. Even if he wished for her presence to express his gratitude, he stayed in Daer for a few days until he went to Dior himself and finished his mission.

He often includes a question every time the Queen calls seeking an update about the status of the State: is she alright? Does she miss the sea? What did she eat this morning? And some sort, just to satisfy his own longing. And also to shut up the two nutheads about missing Selene.

That has been going on for two years. He went to Adel a few months back for a vacation, and now he is invited to the Banquet and would he allow himself to meet her again? And this time, would there be change?

"Woah," Lutch and Admiral said in unison.

"Iba talaga kapag ang Palasyo ang naghahanda, engrande pa sa engrande. Mula sa trono hanggang sa pinakadulo ng palasyo, grabe talagang preparasyon 'to!" Lutch exclaimed in amazement.

"Ang daming pagkain," Admiral said, aiming himself to the feast before him. His stomach growls like a hungry animal who was famished for years. "Eat all you can naman ito hindi ba, Valan?"

Sabay napatingin ang dalawa sa kasama, hinihintay ang tugon ni Valan habang kinokontrol ang mga sarili na huwag gumawa ng eksena. Kung wala sigurong tao dito at sila-sila lamang ay tiyak na nasa ibabaw ng mesa na si Admiral at nilantakan ang pagkain, at baka nasa trono na si Lutch, ninanamnam ang pagiging hari.

Shapeshifters, due to their innate abilities, were forbidden from mingling in crowds or attending gatherings. Even though Lutch and Admiral aligned themselves with the side of good, there were still individuals who held opposing views. Valan, aware of the potential risks, emphasized the importance of adhering to the rule.

"Let's meet tomorrow," Valan instructed firmly, emphasizing the gravity of the situation. "Remember, no shapeshifting. If you dare to break the rule this week, be prepared to spend an entire year as flies."

The duo responded in unison, their voices filled with trepidation at the thought of enduring such a fate. Valan's insistence on upholding the rule stemmed from the fact that the people attending the banquet held significant positions within the palace.

Leaving Lutch and Admiral behind, Valan diverted his attention to a woman who had recently departed from Frencia's side. From the moment the night's celebration began, he found himself observing her. Instead of taking the usual path leading to the next manor, she ventured into the palace garden. Intrigued, Valan stealthily trailed her, allowing himself to become fully engrossed in her graceful stride.

He followed at a leisurely pace, watching as she reveled in the brilliance of the garden lights and the enchanting beauty surrounding her.

"It has been two years, yet Selene remains as breathtakingly beautiful as ever," Valan whispered softly to himself, a mixture of nostalgia and admiration tugging at his heart. A faint smile played upon his lips as he observed Selene, her form gracefully pausing near a lamppost. "She appears content... without me."

As he stood there, concealed in the shadows, Valan couldn't help but reflect on the passage of time and the changes it had brought. The ache of their separation still lingered, a bittersweet reminder of what they had once shared. Seeing Selene immersed in her own happiness stirred conflicting emotions within him — a longing for the past, yet a sense of acceptance that their paths had diverged.