Chapter 4: The Persuader

Yu Xinyan sipped the lukewarm water from the enamel cup on the cabinet and finished all the food in the lunchbox.

Now, nothing was more important than getting her health back on track. She needed to think carefully about what to do next.

As she envisioned the challenges that lay ahead, she took a deep breath, followed by a heavy sigh. Since God has bestowed upon her a chance to start anew, she is determined to live her life to the fullest.

An unpaid nanny? Well, whoever wants to be one, can go ahead and assume that role.

It was now April 1978, just a year after the college entrance examination had been reinstated. In her previous life, Yu Xinyan had always longed to take the exam and attend university. However, ever since she married Lu Juncheng, she found herself trapped in a tumultuous life, leaving no time nor energy to touch her textbooks.

Although she later managed to pursue a university education through her own efforts and even learned English to support her livelihood, it could never compensate for the regret of not being able to participate in the college entrance examination.

This time, nothing would stand in her way of pursuing the dream of attending university.

As she lay in bed, lost in her thoughts, she inadvertently drifted back to sleep.

When she woke up again, she saw Mrs. Tian sitting by the bedside.

Seeing her awake, Mrs. Tian got up and poured her half a cup of lukewarm water, smiling as she asked, "Feeling any better?"

Supporting herself to sit up, Yu Xinyan replied, "The dizziness has subsided quite a bit, but it hurts whenever I move. When did you arrive, Sister Tian?"

Mrs. Tian gave her a helping hand and said, "I just arrived. After finishing the household chores, I came to check on how you're doing. Have some water."

Yu Xinyan took the enamel cup from Mrs. Tian's hand, feeling somewhat embarrassed. "Sister Tian, I've already burdened you enough. I am perfectly capable of looking after myself. Please focus on your own affairs without worrying about me any further."

Mrs. Tian hadn't come on her own accord. It was Lu Juncheng who asked her to come and console Yu Xinyan, hoping she would be discharged from the hospital earlier to take care of the children. Mrs. Tian felt that Lu Juncheng was getting impatient, but the three children of the Lu family did indeed need someone to look after them, so she reluctantly agreed to help.

Mrs. Tian had already prepared an excuse. "Oh, it's nothing. How about I take the lunchbox now? Otherwise, I'll have nothing to use to deliver your dinner tonight," she remarked with a playful smile as she gestured towards the aluminum lunchbox on the bedside table.

Yu Xinyan took a sip of water from the enamel cup. "Thank you for your hard work, Sister Tian."

Mrs. Tian waved her hand dismissively. "Don't be so formal. Our families are neighbors, and it's only natural to help each other. And if the time comes when I need help, will you turn me away?"

Yu Xinyan smiled back at her but refrained from responding. In this lifetime, continuing with Lu Juncheng was simply out of the question, so she couldn't agree with Mrs. Tian's sentiment.

Mrs. Tian, unaware of the change in her expression, continued, "The factory is currently burdened with heavy production tasks. Juncheng has been working tirelessly these past few days. It's crucial for you to recover quickly so that he can focus on his work. What do you think?"

Upon hearing this, Yu Xinyan thought to herself, "So, this persuader is sent by Lu Juncheng. Heh, he's really something."

She looked up and smiled faintly at Mrs. Tian. "Sister Tian is right, but without good health, I won't be able to take care of those three children properly. I hope I'll recover as soon as possible.Thank you for your concern."

She tactfully avoided mentioning her intention to be discharged soon in order to care for the children, choosing instead to keep the conversation focused on other matters.

Mrs. Tian couldn't make her intention too obvious either. After all, they were neighbors, and they would have to interact in the future. It wouldn't be wise to create animosity before they even had a chance to establish a relationship.

The two of them engaged in casual conversation for a while, and when Mrs. Tian realized it was getting late, she smiled and stood up. "Take some rest now. I'll go home and prepare dinner. I'll come back later."

(End of this chapter)