Chapter 10

After three months of potions, combat, history, magic creature studies, and enchanted item class, Jackson, David, and I decided to have a "guys night" after dinner. The three of us set out to visit the student hangout lounge. It had sofas and fireplaces all around, with various activities such as board games, pool, card games, arcade machines, dice games, and Monopoly. I looked over at Jackson and David only to discover that Jackson had been surrounded by cheerleaders and looked like he was having the time of his life. David had gone over to one of the fireplaces with some other fire elementals who were playing a game of "Will it melt?" in the case of the thick slab of ice they were shooting fire at, my guess is yes, it will melt. There goes guys' night, I thought. I noticed Madelynn and Trinity at a table in the corner so I walked over and sat down next to Madelynn. As the three of us started talking I noticed Trinity glancing over at Jackson and the cheerleaders occasionally with a mix of anger, envy, jealousy, and sadness. Finally she got up and walked over to them. After a few minutes of her being over there a cheerleader began arguing with her. Trinity walked over to Jackson, grabbed his collar and kissed him then let go and stormed out of the lounge leaving Jackson behind in a state of shock. Madelynn and I turned back to each other and after a while of talking she grabbed my hand and said, "Follow me." then dragged me out of the lounge, through the halls that now had blazing torches that were somehow not making smoke and over to an outdoor pavilion that overlooked the forest. The two of us leaned against the railing. I looked up at the sky and saw there was a full moon. I heard a pack of wolves howling in the distance. I looked over at Madelynn and my heart skipped a beat. In the moonlight, her blonde hair and gray eyes seemed to glow. She looked over at me and smiled. She was wearing a plain white t-shirt and faded jeans. A cold wind blew past so I took off my denim jacket and draped it over her shoulders, leaving me with only my gray hoodie. "Thanks," she said with a smile. "No problem," I said. We stood there for a while, leaning agaisnt the railing and talking.

I lay down in my bed after Madelynn and I had gone back to our separate dorms. I had changed into some silk pajama pants with no shirt, revealing my toned stomach which a lot of us have after fighting monsters for two hours every weekday, courtesy of the coach. A few minutes after I had laid down, Jackson walked in. The collar of his green polo shirt and his dark brown hair was messed up. He had a goofy grin on his face along with some red markings on his mouth and cheeks that looked suspiciously like lips. "Have fun?" David asked from his bed. He was wearing red plaid pajama pants and no shirt, his stomach and arms were more toned than both mine and Jackson's because of his time in the forge with some other fire elementals. "Shut up David." Jackson said with a smirk and a roll of his eyes. Jackson went into a bathroom to change into his fancy prince pajamas of dark green satin pants, button down shirt, and robe. The three of us settled into our beds, I waved my hand and the lights went out. After a few minutes I could hear David snoring softly in his bed. I found the sound of his snore oddly relaxing because it reminded me of the gurgle of a fountain. Within seconds I fell asleep, unfortunately that meant nightmares assaulted my mind, like they do for every magician on the night before the winter solstice.