CHAPTER 27: JEALOUSY

Start from the beginning

Ben offers his hand.  Tom looks at it.  I nudge his arm, and he shakes it.

Tom said, "nice to meet you, I'm Sydney's boyfriend and fiance. We just got engaged."  Tom puts his arm around my waist, pulls me to him, let's his arm go down my back to my butt, and keeps his hand there."  Tom kisses my cheek.

Ben stares.  What he must be thinking? oh God, I just realized I told Ben I didn't have anyone else to ask to take me to the wedding, then Tom says we are engaged.  This may be a problem.

Ben said, 'Fiancé, I um I didn't realize that you were even dating Sydney."

Tom said, "we kept it a secret, didn't we baby."  He kisses my cheek again. These kisses are unreal what it does to me.

I said, "Yes."  Ben said, "I just came by to see how the wedding went" Tom said, "the wedding was pretty interesting. We ended up engaged so that made it great."

Ben looks at me and gives me the weirdest look.  How do I fix this?

I said, "Babe did you say you were going" Tom said, "going to my car to get that case file. Yeah, that can wait."  He shoots me a look.  I laugh.

Tom said, "Ben I'm glad to finally meet you. Sydney has talked about you. I wanted to thank you for doing stuff for her car, but I'm going to take over working on her car. I'm as close to a mechanic as someone could be, and she feels more comfortable with a trained mechanic."  
I said, "Ben if you want to sit down, it's fine. Tom can you help me with that in the kitchen, what I was telling you isn't working."  Tom said, "Sure."  He takes my hand we go into the kitchen.

I said, "Hanson what the hell is wrong with you?"  He said, "me" I said, "yes you are being rude to Ben," Tom said, "Excuse me I'm being rude. You think I'm the rude one. When he shows up on your porch around midnight. Just standing there."  I hit his arm.  Laughing.  I said, "Tom it's not midnight. Second, he was going to ring the bell, but you opened the door. And yes pretty much insinuating that he may not have the skills to do an oil change, and that I don't want him doing it is rude."

Tom said, 'Sydney do I have to remind you that we are engaged. I don't appreciate some steroid guy showing up late at night. It looks bad, I don't want people thinking you are cheating on me."

I said, "Excuse me Hanson. First, I know that we are fake engaged. Second I don't appreciate you insinuating that I would cheat, or that I am anything but friends with Ben, and third he is not on drugs."

Tom said, "oh right you are so naive."  I said, "Hanson"  He said, 'so he just got huge arms, legs, chest, neck, head."  I said, "From working out, and he was a college football player."  Tom rolls his eyes,

I can't blame Tom, of course he's not jealous he's worried about the deal. And let's face it, if a girl showed up at Tom's door, I'd not only be worried about the deal, I'd be jealous, and probably blast him,

I said, "I'm sorry. I don't want to fight. You don't have to worry about Ben he is just a friend I told you that. But we do have to worry about Ben in the sense there might be a problem."

Tom said, "What is the problem. Except I don't like a guy showing up at your door at this hour, Sydney forget the deal. I care about you. If something happened to you like Judy, I could not handle it. I'm sorry if I upset you."  I said, "no you didn't. I'm sorry. But the problem is I told Ben that I didn't have anyone to ask to take me to the wedding, that I didn't want my date to the wedding to think that I wanted to date that I wasn't ready to date anyone after Rob. And you told him we were secret dating and engaged."  Tom said, "Shit so what do we do? I hate to bring him in on this fake engagement. We are already getting too many people who know."  I said, "yeah we can't add any more people to the list"