Chapter 4: The mask

Chapter 4: The mask

The sun shone blazingly through the silky lace curtains. The soft wind brushed through the strands of my hair. I sat on the white sheets of the royal bed. It was something I've never dreamed about doing let alone living it.

I can hear a servant cleaning the room next to mine. Why? It's not even used. What's there to clean? The sound of the vacuum cleaner echoed through the cream-coloured wall. The walls were covered in extreme detailed designer patterns, very, very expensive.

Stuff here is expensive. Obviously.

There was a sudden knock on the door. The door revealed the double chinned, short ginger haired, Miss Mead.

“You ready?” she asked.

“Ready as I am.”

“Here are your clothes,” Miss Mead said, passing a long, black cloth with her chubby fingers with her ruby diamonds shining brightly.

“You sure it's not a curtain?”

“A hundred percent,” she laughed.

Miss Mead closed the door behind her and left the room. I sat motionlessly on the bed holding cautiously onto the black cloth.

My hands itched under the cloth. It was made out of wool. Great. This is going to be hot.

Literally.

I spread it open into the air and pulled it onto me.

The cloth draped over my shoulders and onto the floor, covering me from top to bottom. The cloth was thickly hot. No lesser than a minute, sweat streamed down my face and dripped off the tendrils of my hair.

It was stuffy. EXTREMLY STUFFY!!

I walked out the room, passing several golden door knobs until I found Miss Mead and Mum chatting furiously on a red leather couch. They noticed my presence and stopped talking and looked at me.

I bet my face must have been drenched in sweat as they laughed at my appearance.

“You look like you came out of shower with clothes on!” my mum whined with laughter.

I gave her a look.

She has no idea what situation I'm in.

“You look covered.”

“Hell yeah am I not.”

“All you need now is this,” Miss Mead said, handing me a purple bag.

Slowly, I untangled the woven ribbon. I peered into the bag. Inside, was the most marvelous thing an eye can see.

It was extraordinary.

I stared at the golden-like thing in the bag. I took it out slowly. The smoothness of the edges. The small delicate details engraved on it.

I held it carefully in the palm of my hands, afraid that it would brake any moment under my reckless fingers. Under the palms of my hand it felt paper thin, so delicate, that I could hardly believe such a thing exists in the world.

I stared deeply into it, looking at my reflection reflecting back from it.

“You, you sure, I can...?” I muttered. I was dumbstruck.

There was only one way to make sure whether my prediction was right.

I opened my mouth and placed it under a tooth, letting it just touch. As soon as my tooth met it, I knew I was right.

The sandiness...

THIS THING IS MADE OUT OF PURE GOLD!!!

This was too much to handle. More sweat streamed down my face. My head began to whirl. I felt a sense of dizziness whip through me as I suddenly leant to one side. Thankfully, Michael caught me just in time.

“Thanks,” I said to Michael and turned around to face Miss Mead, “This thing is made out of gold!”

“What else would it be?”

WHAT?! You have got to be kidding me. How could you say this like a-matter-of-fact thing??

“Here, let me help you put it on,” Miss Mead said. She took the thing from my hands and placed it in front of my face and tied the silky gold ribbons on the back.

A gold mask.

I walked to a random toilet and looked into the closest mirror.

I gasped.

Not that I look so splendidly horrible or anything but I feel that I look prettier with the mask on. I gently traced along the edges of the mask.

The mask looked like some kind of symbol of freedom and happiness with it's wing-like shape. It was spread open, passing by my face. The very edge of the mask curled slightly as if it was to cup my face. On the top of the mask there was some kind of vine design slightly sticking out. It looked as if it was some kind of an insect's antennae.

Miss Mead must have followed me here as she placed her hand on my left shoulder.

“What do you think?”

“This is....this is....amazing. Truly amazing,” I said, gazing at my reflection. “But, what's the design meant to mean?”

“That's for me to know and you to find out."

“I hate cracking stuff like this.”

“I know,” she smiled. “Alright, lets head of to your real home yeah?”

I nodded.

We head out of the house and walked towards the black car. Michael was already standing there opening the door for us. It was then did I realize that the car window was a one-way type window. The outsiders can't see the inside while the one in the car can see the things happening outside. I guess it's so that I could take the mask off while I'm in the car without anyone seeing who I am.

Michael drove us down to a road that I recognize. It was the path that Anthony and I walked to school just yesterday.

Everything happened so quickly.

I heard a jolt of the brakes and looked out. Outside, was a red-bricked apartment about 7 floors high.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's another chapter finished and done!!! Please contine reading the furthur like story~!

DON'T FORGET TO VOTE FAN COMMENT OR LIKE!!!!

<----------------------------------------------------VOTE