6

Six || Date

After a lovely dinner, spent flirting and laughing with Shayne, we were back in the car. Shayne had laced our fingers together again, humming to himself as he drove us to the after dinner surprise.

"I'm having a great time, Shayne." I admitted, playing with our entwined hands with my free hand.

"I'm glad." He gave my hand a squeeze. "I'm having a good time, too."

"You know, you're doing an awful lot for a factional work spouse position." I teased gently.

"I was always told to shoot for the position I want." Shayne shrugged smugly.

"Oh?" I giggled. "And what exactly is that?"

"I'm trying to be your real boyfriend." Shayne stated as though it were obvious. "Winning you over as your work spouse was only the beginning."

I blushed deeply, earning a chuckle from Shayne. He lifted our hands again, placing another kiss to the back of my hand.

"Don't worry," Shayne murmured. "We're almost there."

I hummed and looked out the window, fascinated by the colorful sunset reflecting on the store fronts Shayne drove past. A smile made its way onto my face, and a genuinely happy feeling settled comfortably on my chest. I glanced over at Shayne, smiling wider at the small smile on his face. His sunglasses hid his blue eyes, but I could still see the ghost of his dimple as his smile started to grow.

"You're staring." Shayne blushed slightly, presumably glancing at me from behind his dark sunglasses.

"You're worth staring at." I shrugged, grinning victoriously as his cheeks reddened and his smile widened.

"I could say the same about you." Shayne retorted. "If I didn't have to focus on not killing us both in a car accident, you would have my undivided attention."

I blushed at the sincerity in his voice, leaning across the center console and pressing a kiss to Shayne's cheek.

"This night is going very well." I murmured, settling back into my seat. Shayne parked the car with a grin, turning to look at me excitedly.

"Boardwalk?" Shayne suggested, gesturing up to the brightly lit pier.

"Perfect!" I smiled, getting out of the car. I secured my mini backpack on my back and closed my door. Shayne met me on my side of the car, holding out his hand for me to take. I laced our fingers together and rested my head on his upper arm, allowing Shayne to lead the way up to the boardwalk.

Shayne and I spent an hour playing the boardwalk games together, walking away with a few small stuffed animals. It was a really good time, and Shayne insisted we finish the night with a ride on the Ferris wheel. Reluctantly, I agreed, muttering to Shayne that I was scared of heights.

"Don't be scared, Birdie." Shayne murmured, wrapping his arm around my shoulders as the wheel began moving. "I've got you."

I huddled closer to Shayne's side, finding comfort beneath his muscular arm. When our carriage stopped at the top, Shayne tightened his grip on me ever so slightly before he looked down at me. I smiled happily up at him, happy with the way this date had gone. Shayne reached over with his free hand, tilting my chin upward with a soft smile.

"Are you gonna kiss me?" I questioned with a snicker. Instead of feeding in to my taunt, Shayne leaned down and pressed his lips to mine. I kissed him back, turning my torso toward him as I leaned upward. I pulled away first, giggling giddily into Shayne's denim jacket.

"I usually don't kiss on the first date." Shayne muttered. "But I've been wanting to kiss you since our first collab."

I smiled at the new fact, grabbing his hand and playing with his fingers as the wheel began moving again.