CHAPTER 23: THREATS AND TORTURE

Start from the beginning

"I'm really sorry Sydney. I should have thought it out better. I wasn't thinking. I just wanted her hurt. I wanted Rob pissed, and I wanted her to see what a jerk Rob is that he still wants you, and that would ruin her night, if we stole her night and everyone was talking about you and your romantic proposal at a wedding. I mean I was thinking that is a romantic proposal that a man is so caught up in romance and love while dancing with a beautiful woman that he proposes marriage to her as they dance by whispering it in her ear."

I said "actually it would be a romantic proposal. And I get it now. And I thank you that you were trying to do all this for me. But Tom you made a big mess." Tom said, "I know that so let me fix it." I said, "Fix it by what being engaged. Long term. Tom no we can't do that."

Tom said "Why" I said "Because Tom, neither of us first of all we are friends only, we are partners, we are not lovers, we are not a couple, and we don't want to be, I mean neither one of us wants to have a relationship a commitment because of the double betrayals we suffered. Neither one of us wants to trust or love again. My aunt is so excited. She wants to help plan my wedding. Your mom is maybe not going to like me, but she will be excited that her only son is going to get married. She might want to help plan the wedding. Tom, we can't just tell them oh we aren't planning a wedding because we are just going to be engaged."

Tom said, "she will love you, and Why can't we tell them that. I mean we haven't known each other long, just a few months, why can't we say that we love each other, and that we want to be engaged and committed, but we want to take our time and get to know each other." I said," Tom ok say we do that, but still, they are going to want to talk marriage plans, I know my aunt, she will say that even if your wedding is a year away or two years away, need to make plans now, buy stuff now, Tom plus I can't lie to people. I'm not a liar. I can't tell my dad and my brother, my aunt, that I'm engaged and getting married when I know that we aren't engaged and we aren't ever getting married, and it's just to cover for your mistake. And what happens if you meet a girl and you fall for her, I will look like a fool since we are fake engaged."

Tom said, "hey I am not going to meet a girl and fall for her, and I will be the one who looks like a fool, when you fall for a guy, and he steals your heart, and you get married for real." I said, "Tom no that won't happen, look we can't do this. Tomorrow your only hope is that I go and I will explain it all to my dad, so that he doesn't torture you and ruin your life." He said, "I doubt your dad is going to murder me since Rob is still alive. I mean I know he hates me but"

I said, "Tom no he won't be violent, but my dad is powerful. He knows senators, celebs, he can ruin your name, he can cause problems for you with your job, he can talk to people in the higher ups and cause problems, get you in trouble with Joe. You could be hounded at work. He will threaten to ruin you. I have to do this. I will tell my dad that I begged you to take me to the wedding, that I had a mental breakdown and was crying all over you, and begged you to be my date, then have been crying all over you all upset about my dad walking her down the aisle, and you lost it and were trying to help me, by touching me being romantic and kissing me, and then I lost it when she asked him to dance with her father daughter dance, and I begged you to let me ruin her wedding by wanting to be engaged. I put you up to it. You did it because you felt sorry for me."

Tom said "Absolutely not. No way in hell I'm letting you tell your dad that." I said, "why not." Tom said, "Because it's not true." I said," yeah most of it is. I mean I didn't ask you to say we were engaged. But I cried all over you more than once, I had breakdowns on you, I'm sure I drove you crazy." He said "No you didn't I wanted to be here for you. And I asked you to let me take you, and you said no. I did this. I am a man, and I will man up with your dad."

I said, "Tom no. I can't let my dad threaten to derail your career. He will threaten to go after you, look up all your old cases, see if he can prosecute you for mistakes. I can't let my dad do that to you" Tom said "Sydney, I can handle it. Let me talk to him. Let me try and explain." I said, "Tom why are you being so stubborn" He said "Because I don't want you humiliated any more than you have been. It was bad enough to have them cheat like that, your friends know don't tell you, then to have to hear they are engaged, and have to attend their wedding, have people stare at you, and have your dad walk her down the aisle to the guy who you thought you would marry, then have them dance like that. Then have me lie and say we were engaged, say that I proposed. Then have them mock you and say that it is a lie and you made it up. I am not going to let that be the way this goes. Sorry I won't do it. "