66 - All forgiven

Start from the beginning

'What are you thinking? Do you hate me? I wish I would have done things differently, but I just-'

'No!'

'No?' I ask breathlessly, I'm not entirely sure what she's referring to.

'I thought I might have lost you', she says, tears coming to her eyes once more. 'And I felt so horrible about all the times I was a bad sister to you.'

'You were never-'

'Yes, I was! You were going through the same things I was. You lost your world, all your friends, mom and dad... But through all of that you took care of me. And you never complained. And I just... I gave you shit!'

'Ella...' I start cautiously. But she isn't finished.

'I felt so angry', she continues through her tears. 'That I had to get a shitty disease and... and I got mom and dad killed-'

'Honey, stop! It's not your fault that they died.'

'Well, it felt like it! If I hadn't had a seizure in that store, and if dad hadn't gone out to look for medication... I felt like I ruined everything. But instead of trying to fix things with you, I let it all out on you.'

Of course, she's not entirely wrong. She has been very difficult at times. Things were much better for a while, when everything was well at Alexandria, but when the Saviours took over, she started to take it out on me again.

But I never blamed her for it. I know that it's all difficult. Especially at her age. And even at the worst of times, there were always good moments to make up for the bad ones.

'Ella, I love you', I say, grabbing her shoulder a little more tightly than I normally would. 'I understand. Things have been hard, and it's not easy to deal with these things. Sometimes we lash out at the wrong person.'

'I should have been there for you too', she says adamantly. 'I shouldn't have been making things harder for you. So... I'm sorry. I thought I'd never get the chance to tell you, but I'm so sorry, Chris.'

'Oh, baby', I cry out, pulling her back into my arms. 'You don't need to apologize to me.'

'Yes, I do', she sobs into my hair.

'No you don't', I repeat. 'But it's all forgiven anyway.'

She laughs and draws away from me a little to look at me with her tearfilled eyes.

'So to answer your question, no, I don't hate you. I could never hate you. No matter what asshole you choose to fuck with.'

'Ella!' I cry out, stunned by her blunt words. I look at her with my mouth open in shock, which makes her throw her head back and laugh. Then, I'm laughing with her. Tears of pain turn into tears of joy and soon we're clutching our stomachs and laugh like we've lost our minds.

At that moment, the door to the trailer opens. And two familiar faces appear.

'Doc!' Cal calls out, showing more enthusiasm than he has the entire time at the Sanctuary. Unexpectedly, he rushes over and scoops me up from my chair to pull me up into a major bear hug.

'Can't believe you're actually here', he says, all but spinning me around.

'My God!' I chuckle. 'Who are you and what have you done with Cal?'

'We're just really happy to see you, Chris', B says, pulling me into a hug as well when Cal has put me back onto the ground. 'We were so worried. God, Christina, I'm so sorry that we left you there.'

'Don't be', I tell her adamantly. 'You got Ella into safety. And yourselves too. We always knew there was a risk.'

'You're okay, though?' she asks worriedly. 'I can't believe he just let you go. I was worried he'd... well, I don't even want to think about it.'