Chapter One: Once there was a fox

"Who do you think that is?" 

I looked over to where my friend Ino pointed, "My mom says he's the demon fox," I responded. We both laughed at the name, there was no such thing as that anyway! Parents just don't want us to play with him for some reason. "I gotta go now, I'll see you tomorrow at school though, okay?" I nodded and smiled, with that Ino ran off to her dad who was waiting for her. 

I ended up staying at the park for awhile since I didn't want to go home. I know i'd get bored of being in my room so out here was better. 

"Look the fox demon!" I turned around and saw a group of kids beating up the blond haired kid who everyone calls a demon, as much as I wanted to help..what could I really do? I started to hear him cry but all I did was watch. "Get off of him, stinky!" There's no way I said that out loud. "What did you call me you pink haired freak?" I had no idea what came over me, I shrugged and shoved them out of the way, I grabbed the crying boys hand and started running as fast as i could. 

"We're so dead! C'mon try running faster!" I said dragging him. Telling him to run faster probably wasn't the best thing considering he was limping at the moment.  We stopped at an alley way hidden from the group. "So what's your name anyway?" I asked the blond headed boy. Weirdly, he growled at me and crossed his arms, maybe he was a fox? "Are you some kind of animal? People don't growl," By now i was just really confused with him. 

"What do you want with me anyway! I already don't have money or anything valuable so just run off already!" 

I was a little surprised at the sudden outburst but I shook it off. "I don't need money, I just wanted your name that's all silly," His facial expression slowly changed and his eyes began to water, "Hey don't cry! It's okay, you don't have to tell me your name," I hugged him and held him in an embrace. I felt my shirt stain through his tears, not that I minded, I just want to know why he's so sad. "What's wrong?" No response, just sobs instead. 

We stayed like that for a few more minutes before he finally spoke, "My names Naruto," His voice was croaky and tired. "Hey that's a pretty cool name, mines is Sakura," I replied giving him one of my best smiles. "Why are you smiling..?" He asked. I frowned, "Well, because i'm happy I met such a cool person today." I quickly smiled again and held out my hand for him to grab. "Cmon, I wanna get ice cream!"

We started running again to the closest ice cream parlor, the only problem was they turned me away once they saw me holding Naruto's hand. I don't get why everyone's so mean. "It's okay we'll try some other time!" We began walking again in silence before he asks another question, "Sakura," "What's up?" He stayed quiet, almost hesitant before finishing. "Don't you ever get sad?" I looked back to see how sad Naruto really looked, as sad as it made me I didn't want to seem upset in front of him. "I guess so, but even when things get bad I try staying happy because I know everything will be okay, maybe not right away but it will with time." 

I felt his hand tense up in my grasp, did i say something wrong? 

"What if things dont end up okay?" 

This time i stayed quiet. What if things don't ever become okay? I never thought of that before. "Hm, well if that happens then I'll still try to be happy for the people around me, or maybe i'll take things into my own hands and make it okay y'know?" He nodded but I could tell he was confused, I would be too, I didn't really understand what I said either. "Why do your smile so much when there's nothing to smile about?" I thought for a second, "Because..I'm not sure. Maybe because staying positive is the key to having a happier life, plus you never know, giving someone a smile could make their day a little better," I turned back to see Naruto smiling to my response.