Drunk in love

After watching Magnus' car disappear over the horizon, you decided to proceed on your way, through the country lane that would direct you back to the city. The birds were chirping happily in the trees, the sun was shining, the rolling hills of the landscape around you was beautiful, yet you felt empty inside. A dawning dread was forming in the pit of your stomach with every step you took. You'd told Magnus what Tom had planned, and just hoped that he wouldn't find out you'd betrayed him.

By now you were sweating heavily, your breath becoming laboured as you baked in the sun. The road just kept on going for miles and miles. Just when you thought you'd reached the end of it, you'd get to the top of the hill to see it stretching far off into the distance even further.

Just as you felt like collapsing, a building appeared on the horizon. Staggering down the path, you stumbled towards it. As you grew closer, you saw that it was a old house, the the wooden beams and faded white walls. You could smell the horses as you got closer, their whines and neighs audible from the barn behind the building. When you finally got close enough, you could see a wooden sigh hanging about the door, and realised it was an old county pub. Not noticing the passed out drunk with his head buried in the bush outside, you pushed open the heavy wooden door and stepped inside.

The dark, dim candle lit room was full of men, drinking and cheering loudly. Most of them were in there separate groups in different corners of the pub, slumped over tables or standing in groups. Their tankards clinked loudly against each other as they merrily cheered the group in the centre of the pub who were causing the most amount of fuss.

At the centre table, a large barrel of beer was pouring out it's contents through the tap, the men surrounding it cheering loudly as they filled their bellies. Laughing the loudest out of this group was a young man, who lay on the floor beneath the barrel, letting the dark liquid fall straight into his mouth. Spluttering and laughing, he was egged on by the men around him as he drowned himself in the booze.

All this soon stopped as they heard the door behind you shut. Just like out of a cartoon, everyone in the pub stopped, frozen, all theirs heads turning to look at you. Some of them spilt their beer, others just stood their drooling, gawping at you. But the person who most caught your attention, was the one on the floor. He lay there, eyes locked on yours, even as the alcohol continued to pour out of the barrel onto him, soaking him even more.

"Can I help you deary? Your looking a little lost", a elderly lady piped up, tottering over from a table in the corner, several empty tankards in her hands. You assumed she must be the barman, or the owner of this pub, or tavern as it was called on the outside. "Yes, erm, could I have some water please", you asked her, tearing your eyes away from all the men gawping at you to look at her.

You followed her over to the corner of the tavern where she handed you a wooden cup of water. All eyes followed you, the men still staring. Some of them even creeped a little closer just to get a better look. "Psst! She ain't nothing to ya. Away!", she hissed at the men, fanning her hands at the. Reluctantly they drifted back to their groups and resumed the drunken slurs of talking before the place was filled with laughter and arguing once more.

As you sat at the wooden table, drinking, you couldn't help but feel like you were being watched. Glancing over your shoulder, you saw the man who was on the floor, still lying there, not taking his eyes off you. Even though the alcohol from the barrel had stopped flowing, he still lay there. One of the men in his company booted him in his side, causing him to grunt in pain, startling him out of his daze. The man gave him a wink before quickly dashing off to escape, before the man hurtled a stool after him.

Brushing back his soaked hair, he flashed a grin at you, readjusting his soaked black shirt. You felt your cheeks blush as you caught a glimpse of his chest, glistening in the light due to it's wetness, not to mention the way he was looking at you, biting his lip. As you turned away, pretending to take interest in your cup, a chair dragged across the stone floor next to you, and the man in question plopped himself into it.