Room with a view

Just looking up at the tall, concrete and glass structure was enough to make you feel sick. You couldn't believe that people could live inside these 'high rises'. You preferred your own place, where at least you only had to worry about a few neighbours, not 1000 of them all at once. Just imagine the noise, not to mention the rubbish.

Walking through the sleek glass doors, you entered into the lobby of the apartment building. Immediately you hugged your arms around you as the temperature seemed to drop. Your footsteps echoed loudly off the walls, as your eyes scanned the lobby, but there was no one around. Directly in front of you was a row of elevators, all of their metallic doors closed. You had no idea what apartment your client lived in that you had to deliver the book to, so you glanced at the board beside the lifts, describing what was on each floor.

Seeing that floor 10 seemed to be the general meeting place with its shops and swimming pool, you hit the call button for the lift and waiting for it to descend. The lights flickered in the lobby briefly, taking it into darkness, with only the strong light from outside spilling in through the door. The air seemed to grow stale as you waiting in the deaden silence. The outside seemed to have disappeared as all you could hear was what sounded like drumming from inside the lift shaft, behind the metal doors.

Finally, the elevator pinged and the sleek doors slid open, and you stepped inside. Punching the button for the 10th floor, you watched the doors slide close with a thud, before it gave a slight lurch and began climbing up the shaft. You glanced at your reflection in the mirrors in the elevator compartment and felt a little exposed, as if people were looking at you from the other side. You wished it would move quicker, as there wasn't even any music to pass the time, only the drumming that seemed to grow louder the higher up the building you moved, like a military march.

The ding signalled your arrival, but when the doors opened, you yelped in surprise as several faces stared back at you, batons and sticks in their hands. "Well well well. Someone looks a little lost", a gruff voice said, their hand stroking at their short goatee beard as their eyes looked you up and down hungrily. Before you knew it, two of them lunged forward, grabbing your arms, pulling you out of the elevator as another proceeded to smash the mirrors and break the control console. "What are you doing?! Let go of me!", you shouted at them, pulling yourself out of their grasps, backing away from them.

"This lift is ours now. We will not have upper floor scum like you claiming it", one snarled at you, jabbing his stick threateningly towards you. It wasn't until you looked around on the huge concourse level that you saw you were surrounded from all sides by men and woman of a similar nature. All their clothes looked a little dirty and worn, all carrying objects tightly as a weapon. Their eyes glared at you as they all seemed to form a circle around you, essentially trapping you.

"I-I don't know what you mean. I'm not from here", you stammered to them, eyes wide in fear. The man with the long, slicked back black hair and goatee beard stepped forward out of the group, towards you, pointing his golf club at you. "You mean you're not from up there?", he asked, gesturing up to the roof. You nodded, and his eyes widened in realisation. "You're an outsider, aren't you?". The whole group gasped at the realisation too, all collectively taking a step back, giving you space to breath.

"Who sent you? Why are you here?". He barked his questions at you with such ferocity you flinched at his every word. Shakily you reached into your bag and pulled out the package you'd come to deliver. Immediately the man snatched it out of your grasp, before reading the address on it. "Dr Robert Laing", he snapped, eyes looking from you to the package. He threw it down onto the floor at your feet and you picked it up, clutching it to your chest.

All the group around you seemed to close in even tighter around you, and you felt as if you were running out of oxygen. Their hands grasped tighter around their weapons as you looked up into the hungry, cold eyes of the man as he advanced slowly towards you. "You came to the wrong floor sweetie. Now it's time we had our fun", he leered coming closer, smiling at you, baring his teeth like an animal.