Chapter Eleven

Two days later they reached the river. Anson was riding alongside the wagon and heard Olivia gasp when she saw the rushing water. "We have to cross that?"

"Stay here." He said, riding down to the river bank. A moment later he returned. "It's fast," he said. "But it's not that deep. Probably won't even come up past the wheels."

She was staring at the water, frozen and silent.

"Are you alright?"

She swallowed and turned to look at him from where she sat. "I don't think I can do it." She whispered.

"I'll drive then." He offered.

He dismounted and tied the horse to the back of the wagon before climbing up next to her.

She knew he'd need both arms to control the horses or she would have clung to one of them. Instead she held little Annie and silently prayed.

As they approached the water and she could hear the rushing sound, she squeezed her eyes closed.

The water was only a couple feet deep as they started making their way across and the horses had an easy enough time of it. But as they reached the middle and the water level went up, the wagon shifted slightly as it began to float downstream. Olivia's eyes flew open and she gasped, but just as quickly as they had lost ground, the wheels settled on the river floor again and they were suddenly driving up the opposite bank.

"See," he said softly. "Nothing to it,"

She pressed her lips together and nodded.

Annie just stared adoringly up at him, oblivious to her mother's anxiousness.

It was raining. And not just the random droplet here and there type of rain. It was coming down in torrents so bad that even if there had been a gust of strong wind, it probably couldn't have made it much worse.

When it'd started, Anson had put Olivia and the baby in the wagon and secured the canvas before pulling on his slicker. He rode to the top of the bluff to see what they were going to be up against the next day and perhaps see if he could spot the end of the storm.

Sitting glumly in the saddle, he gazed over the valley below. There was another river. A deep looking one that he knew they were going to have to cross. It also didn't appear that the rain was going to be letting up anytime soon and he knew that would only make the river's water level go up.

As if to say a silent prayer, Anson glanced heavenward, only to groan as the water that had collected in the brim of his hat poured down the back of his neck. He sighed and rode back to the wagon.

"You two still alright in there?" he asked, pulling the saddle off the horse and setting it under the wagon to keep dry. "Olivia?"

There was no answer and he went to the back, loosening the ties enough to peer inside. She was still inside. Still safe, curled up on the cot, asleep with Annie nestled in her arms.

Several moments passed before he realized that he was letting in water and he pulled the cord tight again. Then he ducked underneath the wagon and lay down, leaning against the saddle. With a sigh he closed his eyes.

He hadn't intended to fall asleep but he woke with a start when he heard the baby cry. He waited, listening for the sound of Olivia's voice and relaxed when he heard her murmur something to Annie. Funny, the sound of the baby crying had concerned him more than irritated him this time.

He heard Olivia laugh at something Annie had done and he chuckled to himself, sure she was doing something ornery.

"Should we see if the sun's come back out?" Olivia was asking the baby. "Maybe Anson's back from riding and you can stare at him some more." Then she laughed softly. "Of course, who could really blame you?"