Chapter Two

He watched her carry the baby to the back of the wagon and lay out a blanket. Then she sat down, just out of sight and nursed the new born and he went back to digging.

Once he got past the first three feet, which appeared to be made entirely of rocks,the ground underneath was softer and he traded the pick ax for the shovel again. It wasn't long after that Olivia looked over from the fire she'd built and could barely see his head above the ground.The baby was sleeping contentedly near the wagon and she walked over.

"I've got supper if you're hungry. Can't imagine you wouldn't be after all that work you've done."

"I'm just about finished," he said. "I'll be right there."

"No hurry,"she assured him. "It'll stay warm for a bit."

When he was satisfied that he'd dug a proper grave for the man, he climbed out and dusted himself off. He was surprised to find that Mrs. Addison had washed and changed clothes. Her hair was pinned neatly and she looked completely different. He supposed that with the baby and worrying about burying her husband, she hadn't had a moment to herself.

"There's a pitcher of water on the back of the wagon if you'd like to wash up." She said.

He returned a moment later, his hair damp and combed back and the rest of him as clean as possible under the circumstances.

He sat across the fire from her and she handed him a plate of stew with a large piece of hot cornbread. "There's plenty where that came from." She said.

"Thank you, ma'am." He said.

The buffalo stew was full of potatoes and carrots, thick, just the way he liked it and he couldn't remember the last time he'd eaten anything quite so tasty. He'd never had cornbread that was sweet, but it was fluffy and moist and even though he was nearly full, he didn't argue when she gave him another heaping scoop of stew and a second piece of cornbread. "This sure is good." He said.

"It's the least I can do since you spent nearly your whole day digging that hole for me."

"Where were you all heading?" he asked.

"Oregon. I have family there. Colin wanted to start our own farm. He was afraid we got too late of a start with Mama passing away a few months ago. He tried to go slow so it wouldn't be hard on me, but I know he was getting anxious to get there. He was sure we'd arrive before the baby came."

"So now what are you going to do?"

"Keep on going,I suppose." She shrugged one shoulder. "Nothing to go back to.Nothing here. Might as well go on."

"And do what when you get there?" he asked. "There's not much out west for men, and even less for women."

"I know."

They were quiet for a moment. "I guess I should help you finish burying him before it gets too late to see." He said.

She nodded and checked on the baby who was sleeping quietly near the wagon, before following him to the grave. Together they lowered the body into the hole and began covering it with the piles of dirt around the outside.

Anson had tried to separate out as many of the larger rocks as he could and once the hole was filled, he began stacking them over the top of it. When he'd finished, he got to his feet. "I'll leave you alone for a while."He said.

Olivia knelt next to the grave and placed her hand on the rocks. "I'm sorry I have to leave you here, Colin," she said softly. "But you know I can't stay and I can't take you with me." She sighed and let her head hang.

Anson figured he'd make himself useful and cleaned the dishes from supper. It was starting to get dark and still she knelt next to the grave. The baby hadn't made a peep in several hours and he'd nearly forgotten it was there next to the wagon until a tiny wail startled him. He looked at it like it was a snake about to strike.

Then Olivia was there, picking the baby up. "She won't hurt you." She smiled.

"It's a girl?"

"Yes." She watched him for a moment. "Would you like to hold her?"

"No!" he exclaimed. "I don't like babies."

"Is that so?"she didn't seem to mind. "Have you held many babies Mr. Colter?"

"No."

"Well, when you're done being afraid of this tiny little thing, maybe I'll let you hold her."

"I'm not afraid. I just don't like babies."

"Mm-hm. And what part don't you like?"

"The crying. The mess. All of it."

She laughed. "They do have some redeeming qualities, too."

"I have yet to be convinced." He said dryly.

"Is there anything else you don't like?"

"I'm not too fond of women either. No offense."

"Oh, none taken." She said. "But I have to ask why."

"Most of the women I've...encountered, just wanted money or status. I have yet to meet a woman who married for love with no other motives."

"I'm guessing you haven't met many women then." She said.

"Why do you say that?"

"Well, I for one did not marry for money or status." She said. "If I had, I certainly wouldn't be here."

"Well, perhaps you're the only exception."

"No, you're just running in the wrong circles." She smiled. "I have friends....well, I wouldn't call them friends anymore, that are just like how you say. They wanted to marry the best looking, richest and most privileged men in town. And they did. But they weren't happy, if it makes you feel any better."

"And you didn't?" he sounded as though he didn't believe her.

"Oh, I can't say that it wasn't tempting." She said. "To never have to work another day in my life; to have everything I could ever want and a husband who could turn heads. But when I met my husband I knew that a life with him, no matter how hard it was, would be so much better than one filled with things."

"And how long did you have together?" he asked, trying not to sound cynical.

"We were married for eleven months." She smiled sadly.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything."

"You think that anyone lucky enough to find love is doomed from the start?"

"Yes."

"Well, I hope for your sake that you're proven wrong one of these days."

He snorted and shook his head. "I doubt it."

She set the baby, who was now fast asleep, back into the basket and stood to start the dishes, only to find that they had already been washed and dried, stacked neatly on the wagon seat. "You did the dishes!" she was surprised.

"You were busy."He said, nodding towards the grave.

She looked surprised. Stunned almost. "Thank you." She managed.