AZI Volume 5 Chapter 3

"1,350,000!"

"1,400,000!"

"1,450,000!"

As the bidding price for the first excavation right goes up rapidly, Shao Tianming mutters—

"We're basically gambling here."

Compared to the military that wants the highest-grade ruins possible, the Ashen River Hall currently has no interest in anything above grade three.

The reason for this is because they wish to use lower grade ruins as a training ground for their new recruits—to get them used to the various environments, which the ruins have to offer.

If a person doesn't want to get hurt when riding a bicycle for the first time, they would use training wheels and protective gear. The same concept is being applied here.

"1,670,000! Going once! Going twice!"

"1.9 million!"

Deciding to take some risks, a tycoon on the third floor raises the bid again.

Agreeing with Shao Tianming's words, Wang Yongning says—

"If the one we get isn't to our liking, maybe we could trade it for another?"

"With another rights holder? Hmm... That could work."

"No matter what, I believe, it'd be best to acquire at least one excavation right today. Also, the more ruins that are excavated and emptied, the higher these rights are going to be sold for the next time around. To the tycoons, these ruins are kind of like scratch tickets."

"True."

Agreeing with Wang Yongning's opinions, Shao Tianming decides to bid seriously on the next excavation right.

"Sold for 2.1 million NWDs!"

As the next ruin is brought up, bidding prices immediately begin at 2.1 million—going forward, this number shall be used as the standard.

"2.2 million!"

"2.3 million!"

Raising his placard, Shao Tianming shouts—

"2.8 million!"

"..."

Glancing in the direction of the Ashen River Hall, Liang Jin He raises his placard as well, and ups the bid to—

"2.9 million!"

"Tch..."

Batting an eye at Liang Jin He and Yang Ning's direction, Shao Tianming frowns.

(Those military fogies won't let us win one easily... I guess, I'll make them raise their bid as much as possible before calling it quits, and bidding on the one after?)

Thinking of this, Shao Tianming counts the number of markers there are on the world map.

"Six more remaining, is it?"

Raising his placard again, Shao Tianming shouts—

"Three million!"

"3.1 million!"

"3.3 million!"

"3.4 million!"

Bailing out of the bid here, Shao Tianming looks at Liang Jin He with an odd expression on his face, to which, Yang Ning remarks—

"This brat, he wants us to expend as much funds as possible before nabbing an excavation right himself."

Shrugging a shoulder, Liang Jin He replies—

"Doesn't matter. We just need to ensure that they don't end up purchasing one. Besides, we've got people to aid us with this."

The budget of the military isn't unlimited; hence, they had made some secret dealings with the tycoons who are gathered here ahead of time.

Even if the military cannot obtain most of the excavation rights, so long as the remaining rights land in the hands of these tycoons, there is still plenty of negotiation room available to the military in the future.

"3.4 million!"

"3.6 million!"

"...Four million!"

"4.5 million!"

"Tch. 4.8 million!"

"5.2 million!"

As Shao Tianming bids back-to-back with a few tycoons, Wang Yongning frowns; and realizing the military's strategy, he mutters—

"These tycoons... They're basically the military's private loan sharks. ...Our side is really at a disadvantage."

"5.2 million! Going once! Going twice!"

Realizing the situation as well, Shao Tianming's expression darkens, and replies—

"...Can't be helped, we're playing on their turf after all."

"Sold!"

Rather quickly, the third excavation rights' bidding begins, and just as Shao Tianming is about to shout out his offer—

"Six million."

"...Ah?"

"...?"

Towards Nian Tao Tao's act of instantly raising the bid to six million, everyone turns silent.

"Wow."

Looking at her mother—who has a casual expression on her face despite spending a fortune, Nian Yao Yao can't help but whistle.

"Six million! Going once! Going twice! ...Sold!"

.........

As bidding for the fourth excavation rights kicks off, Bai Wen asks—

"Lao Long, why don't you take part in this as well?"

"Hm?"

"If you own the excavation rights, you'll be able to pick out what you want with ease."

Seeing Bai Wen's point, Long Hua sinks into thought.

(Any magic treasures that I want would automatically have to go to me because I'm the rights holder, this...)

As tempting as this scenario is, Long Hua shakes his head, and says—

"I don't want to have to deal with unwanted attention."

"A shame, would have been interesting."

"Hmph."

No longer seeing any more point in hiding his face, Long Hua removes the sunglasses and beauty mark that is stuck near his right eye.

Taking out a wet towel, Long Hua wipes his face of makeup, and takes off the wig as well.

"Ai, when will this end?"

.........

On the other side—

"..."

Seeing Long Hua's real face, Mo-laoban clenches her right hand; however—

"Ai..."

Recalling Long Hua's performance with the flute, Mo-laoban releases the tension in her fist, and shakes her head, while remarking—

"Good skills with the flute, wasted on a person with a shit personality..."

Blinking her eyes, Nuo'er remarks—

"Well, Long-shao is someone with plenty of baggage. I don't think elder sister can really blame him for his... Rudeness."

"..."

"In the end, he simply wishes to be able to go home after all. To him, this world is a prison."

"A prison, is it...?"