Chapter 4: crossing.

Well, let's at least try to find these keys before class starts. I've got a solid hour before my next class.

Austin left to the back of the school, to meet up with the rest of our friends.

After he'd left, I made my way to the front of the school and am stopped just outside the gates of the school.

"I could've dropped them in the English class, but I don't know... maybe I dropped them while running to school this morning." I think to myself.

Convincing Vanessa to give me a lighter took a proportionate chunk of my time this morning and I was left running to school.

I'll start with the obvious choice of checking the lost and found before I run down to Vanessa's store.

It's hot outside now and I'd like to conserve energy before committing to leaving school grounds.

The sun stands vigilantly in the center of the sky during the noon hour, omnipresent without a single shade of cloud in sight.

And I can feel my balls sticking to my thighs and sweat beginning to perspire on my forehead.

Lunch never feels like it's long enough, I've got to find these bad boys before class starts so I can eat something.

I make my way back into the building, my feet slamming against the concrete as I do an awkward jog back to the school. The flags in the front of the school are waving around in the wind. The traffic has picked up too, there's oil or something in the air. Maybe there's construction happening somewhere nearby.

After entering through the door, I attempt to push open the sliding door but fail in my attempt, I have to pull the door. It even says to pull right there, with a handle to open it. I was too lost in thought this morning and just now that I didn't realize.

It's probably because I followed Austin around all morning like a lost puppy.

The sounds have already dulled throughout the building. I've been outside for like 3 minutes. The students already made their way to the cafeteria or dispersed somewhere to eat, and there are only hushed tones escaping through the building. But it's mostly silent besides a few straggling students.

There are two girls talking with each other as they walk through the school.

"I'm so proud of myself! I finally got my first job! I knew it's a bit of a..." she was interrupted.

"Oh, that's great. You know I had my first job last year; did you get your job at that crappy little convenience store? I worked with my dad at his office and..."

She doesn't seem like a very good friend. Her voice was condescending, I couldn't hear what they were saying after gaining some distance.

I walk up to the receptionist. She's an older woman. Her aged skin and vexing face make it apparent that she's been working here for far too long. I couldn't imagine working with kids like us all day, kids like me and Austin, specifically.

She was muttering something to herself as I walked up to the desk of the reception office that she sat behind.

"I can't even get a proper lunch hour, I've gotta sit here..." she said something else that was unintelligible.

The reception desk is a light tone of blue that's about at breast height.

I rest my elbows on the desk and kneel over with a smile.

"Hello! Good afternoon, Miss..." I peer my eyes downwards to see the nameplate sitting on the desk.

"...Martins, I'd like to know if I can look through the lost and found. I must've dropped my keys earlier and." She cuts me off.