CHAPTER 14: OFFERING COMFORT

Start from the beginning

She said, "it's ok."  I hugged her and let her cry on my shoulders.  I said, "Sydney, is your dad or brother, are they ok?"  She nodded.  I said, "that's good. If you want we can just sit here and I'll shut up and you can cry on my shoulder."  She said, "I'm getting your shirt all wet."  

  I said, "That's fine. I don't mind. I just hate seeing you cry. I hate that you are hurting so bad."

She said, "Thank you."  She cried more. She said, "For being so sweet"  More tears.  Man seeing her cry is making me hurt bad.  I never want to feel this pain ever again. I never want to see her hurting.

I said, "if there is anything else I can do for you, get you something to drink? Water? I can go get you food or?  She said, "no thanks."

Sydney's point of view:

I had no idea Tom was going to be here, or that he works on Saturday and Sunday.  Right when he came up to me asking me if I was ok, I was trying to pull myself together and stop crying. But when I looked at him, and he was being so sweet, and then I realized again why I was crying, it made me cry even harder.

He touched my shoulder, like he is trying to comfort me. He looks nervous. Before I realized what I did, I hugged him. Then cried even harder.  Until I realized what I had done, and saw how tense his body was, like he was not moving, I don't even think he was breathing. I think he was holding his breath.  I am so embarrassed. But then he says it's ok, he's just scared he would make me mad if he touched me. So now I"m hugging him and crying again.

Tom's view:

I don't know how long she has let me hold her, as she is sitting her crying on my shoulder. I wish I could do more for her. I just touched her hair. Moved it back out of her face, and then ran my hands through it. I have dreamed about doing that. But I should not have.

She said, "Tommy I'm so sorry I'm crying all over you. I'm just so upset."  

I said, "Sydney it's fine. I just hate seeing you cry. I wish I could do something more to help you. Maybe if you tell me what is wrong, I can fix it. Or I can try"

She said, "no one can fix it."   She starts talking, and she is just talking so fast, I'm trying to follow along and understand, but it's hard. Because she is still crying as she is talking. She is almost hyperventilating.

She said, "I have made such a mess, I mean I was trying to avoid making a bigger fool of myself.  I've already been so humiliated, I just didn't want to be even more, those people laughing at me behind my back"

I said, "no one is laughing at you Sydney"  She said, "yes they are Tom. I know it. When they see me to my face, they are so fake, like begging me to be friends again, and saying they are so sorry, but I just know that behind my back they are laughing at me, how stupid I am."

I said, "Sydney I don't know who you are talking about, but you are not stupid."

I said, "he f----- her in my own bed, he was f------ her and me on the same days for 8 months."

I know I can't have heard that right. I mean she is in hysterics now, and crying, and talking fast, she did not just tell me that her ex cheated on her and was screwing someone in her bed for 8 months.  Then I reflect back to what Joe said firing squad, how upset she got when I said Rob's name. How she has went on about hating men. How that night she said she took it out on me what Rob did. I need to find out who this Rob is, where to find him, I'll go kick his ass.

She was still going on about it. She said, "all my friends I have had since grade school, and they all chose Kris over me, they knew about the affair, they didn't tell me, they kept it quiet. I am so stupid. I didn't see one red flag. I mean she was my best friend, like my sister"